Who has used Humor in their advertising?

Options
Chuck_Vion
Chuck_Vion SiteLink Employee, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified marketplace moderator
I saw a recent twitter post of a SiteLink customer showing off their new road-side sign. It gave me a laugh and made me wonder how else operators are using humor to bring in customers - and does it work as well as I expect it does?

Post a photo of funny self-storage sign, print add, window banner, etc. that you have used or see in the wild. I'd love to see more examples. If it was your advertisement - was it effective?

Chuck Vion
FineView Marketing
  |  Chief Marketing Officer

Comments

• karen700
    karen700 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I enjoy trying to infuse humor into my flyers..."We have your ELBOW ROOMS waiting!!!".....for Christmas time- "Pssssst...Santa needs a new hiding place and we have turning room for the reindeer!"....right now I'm using "Get a head start on spring cleaning because the Easter Bunny has alot of eggs this year!!".
    If nothing else, I have made myself laugh! :p:p
  • Roberta_Gordica
    Roberta_Gordica Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭
    Options

I used this picture to advertise, our "security hound" doing her "guard duty". 

• Jeffrey_Buller
    Jeffrey_Buller Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    Options
    dont have pictures but here in Las vegas I've used " Elvis has left the building! Space now available"
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I used to use that same line on our reader boards for the stores I oversaw in TN.
  • lockerfox
    lockerfox Lockerfox Moderator
    Options
    We're taking a stab at some humor in our print ad this month. Be interesting to see if people think it's funny...  Is it funny?  Will it be effective?  We shall see!

• brownrooster
    brownrooster Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    As a Marketing Guy, I would say be careful with humor.  Humor is always good and memorable, if it works!  But too often it can blow up in your face. 

1) It's hard to be truly funny. Think GEICO cavemen.

2) The KMART "I shipped my pants" commercial was hilarious to me.  It offended a lot of people though.

3) How many SuperBowl ads have you remembered the cleverness, but could not recall the product or company.

I am not saying don't be funny.  Just make sure that your brand of funny IS and that it sales.  you job is not to make people laugh, that is Kevin Hart's job, your job is to provide space, flexibility, and storage and sell it at a good rate per square foot.

Your safer bet is to connect with a customers pain point and offer them a solution.

Finally, I will leave you with the same advice that one of my early mentors in radio told me.  Making people laugh is easy, making them smile is hard.  But, it last longer so always make them smile.
Was that you laughing?
Go ahead and LOL a post. Reactions are a fun and easy way to express your feelings!

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads