Is being a good listener part of your job?

Options
Sue_C
Sue_C Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
Many people have a good (or interesting, sad, exciting, you name it...) reason around why they're renting self-storage. Have you ever had to lend an ear as a customer tells their story? Is it simply part of the job?

Comments

• storagestation603
    storagestation603 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I honestly believe its part of the job. Just like in any customer service job. 
  • OutboxChar
    OutboxChar Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭
    Options
    Definitely part of the job. I can empathize with most of the reasons, military deployment, a death in the family, a divorce, sold their house, bought a house, and it puts me on equal footing because I might have advice to give because I have been through it.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Huh? What was that?.... lol.. Is it part of the job? Technically no, is it part of the job for a GOOD manager though? That's a definite yes! A good listener can pick up on subtle things that could be key motivational points for customers to point out even more so than something else as you know it's something on the tenants mind. Also just in general when someone knows you were truly paying attention to them they are going to be more engaged and trusting of you. If I go to show a unit after they've told me what they will be storing I am going into that unit and naming every piece that they told me and how it would fit into the unit. To go along with being a good listener, having a good memory is a great way to build customer appreciation. I always refer to an office I'm at as "Cheers" because I'm going to be greeting you by name as you come in.
  • roddfield
    roddfield Registered User
    Options
    Customers like it when you remember there name and there not thought as just being a number
    1833 Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    haha yes it is part of the job we get happy stories and the sob stories i think I know more about some of my tenants then i would like to know  but for the most part they are great fun .
  • PhilR
    PhilR Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    Definitely part of the job. Makes the prospective tenant feel like you're interested in them and their life rather than them just being a tenant.
    Phil Rankin
    Site Manager
    Guardian Secure Storage Tauranga
    phil@guardianstorage.co.nz

• ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Listening is part of having a conversation, and I have a conversation with every person that I have contact with on the job.
  • ShedStuff
    ShedStuff Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I find having a listening ear; helps build the relationship of trust. I 've had customers tell me who are delinquent that they'll pay me first since I wasn't rude nor acted as if I don't care about their life struggles. It's all about building a relationship in any business.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you all that enjoy hearing stories from tenants can have my guy who likes to tell me about his poops =/
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh my, yes.  It may take five minutes to get the paperwork done, but you need to be ready to listen to 15 minutes of why they need the unit in the first place. 
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • karen700
    karen700 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My co-workers and I think we are part hair dressers! We hear it all....why they are moving, who is helping them move, the new place they are moving to..... :o! I like knowing my customers. It makes each one an individual in my head...not just - MAN IN #34...LOL

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads