Filling a previous manager's shoes

Options
Amy
Amy Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭
edited August 2017 in Miscellaneous Discussions
When coming into a new facility that was previously run by someone else how do you handle the customers? Especially when their customer service is unbeatable? They had went through hoops to please tenants and changed the policies to fit a tenants needs. 

Comments

• Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've dealt with this numerous times.. The simplest answer is "company policy", if a previous manager was going out of her/his way doing things that they shouldn't of been doing or bending rules for people I always would throw it back to something along the lines of "I'm sorry but I have to follow the company policy." Generally depending on what the special item done for the tenant sometimes you can find a way to suffice them. I had one store all customers used to get personal texts from the manager about late fee's, I sure wasn't going to be spending my time doing that. No matter what was/wasn't done, good or bad, anytime a new manager comes in there will be a "re-training" of tenants. With new store take overs it's typically re-training tenants to pay on time as we have a late fee structure and everyone must abide by it. Takes some time but usually as long as you show customers you are being genuine and honestly care about the facility and them, doing what you CAN do to assist them they will come around.
  • Amy
    Amy Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭
    Options
    Since you have been in this position a few times, what would your advice be for catching up on all of the overlooked aspects of being manager? 
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Biggest thing is you need to make yourself a list so you know what's high priority and what can be tackled in time. If it's something effecting the revenue, or someone grossly abusing company policy that could result in damage to your business/property I would prioritize those as most important. If you have a DM or someone higher up who's had experience with the property prior to you coming on board I'd sit down with them and ask what their expectations are and what they have noticed as high priority issues that should get tackled sooner than later.
  • Ron
    Ron Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    When we came on staff here, the previous managers had a ledger book to keep track of deals they worked out with tenants. No late fees for some, different due dates, special gate hours ect ect. It was a bit stressful at first. A few tenants moved out because we would not keep with the deals they made with the previous managers. After an audit of the previous managers procedures and deals, we found they were embezzling by using rent credits and keeping payments. 
  • ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options

Amy, take it one day at a time.

• ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Amy, no customer service is unbeatable. 2) tenants will try every trick in the book in an effort to avoid paying late fees or whatever. Any manager that is operating with the tenants in this manner is causing the facility to lose money. When you do not pay your electric bill on time...what happens? You get a late fee. Does the electric company sit there and listen to your excuses? No! The self-storage business needs to do likewise!!!!
  • Amy
    Options
    Thanks you. It has been getting better slowly. Tenants are starting to recognize me and come around. I feel that it may be something that I am just going to have to take my time with. 
  • skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It takes time Amy, but they will come around. I took over a facility with the same issues...Last manager had deals of all sorts going on...never locked out of gate..no late fees..etc, etc. All you can do is take the polite but new sheriff in town approach. if they move then that's ok... Every customer should be treated the same and have to meet the same expectations. It's a business. It's not fair to the other folks who don't have special "deals". Your facility and revenue will eventually be stronger in the long run once the storm is over.
  • OutboxChar
    OutboxChar Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭
    Options
    I was fortunate with both facilities-I was already assistant manger with first facility so the changeover was pretty seamless. This facility I inherited the assistant manager and the previous manager hung out for a month to help me with the little stuff. You just have to be the same to everyone and roll with the tantrums.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads