Evictions

What is the proper, California way, to evict someone you cannot get a hold of? no response to email, no good phone number, but pays his rent? were updating our RV parking and need cars and trucks etc.. moved, his motorhome, is dilapidated, and falling apart at the seams, and leaking. want to be legal about this

Comments

• ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    You do not have to renew his lease if he is not maintaining  his property in good working order. and pleasing to the eyes!
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of us have language in our leases stating that we can choose not to renew (month to month). The problems start when you have a tenant who simply will not leave... "make me, I'm not leaving"

We issue a printed 7 day eviction notice stating that we are not renewing the lease, and they have to be out of the unit on such and such day. I've been very lucky; the tenants that I have evicted actually left on their own accord (I've had to bluff a bit using our local PD) but nobody has turned into a holdover tenant.

Self Storage is technically not covered by California's Unlawful Detainer laws (in fact it states that self storage is not covered), however most facility lawyers will tell you to go the court route to actually evict a holdover tenant. The California Lien laws (B&P 21700 -) only cover non-payment, and do not address eviction.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads