Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SiteLink Support & Sales

Welcome to StorageForum!
If you're new take a look at the StorageForum Terms of Use and don't forget to check out Daily Dilbert!

Upselling

wssswsss MARegistered User
I run a storage facility in Massachusetts. It seems as though you can only get so much out of the unit rentwise based on what the local market will bare. Does anyone have any ideas on extras that can be offered to upsell in the unit. Meaning mandatory insurance, shelving rental, things of that nature. Any thoughts? If so, what do you charge?

Comments

• OrkoceanOrkocean TXRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mandatory insurance, mandatory lock *switching to cylinder locks over conventional*, another way to generate extra income is u-haul, mail box rentals in the office if you have space for some to sit. As far as the unit itself, do you classify units that are closer to doors or in premium areas as "premium" units and charge more for them versus one that's a longer walk down a hallway perhaps?   Back to the cylinder locks, any store I've been a part of in the past that has had these typically sale them for $19.99 versus a normal disc lock around $14. The fun part of those is typically they can't go find somewhere to buy the cylinder lock elsewhere so they're forced to buy yours. 
  • skinmanskinman KSRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭
    Our customers are required to have insurance... if they don't have renters or homeowners that covers their belongings, they have to purchase ours. I also charge a 1 time $25 administrative fee at move in... but I give the customer a new disc lock. 
  • i43storagei43storage WIRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭
    We used to sell disc locks for a little extra cash but stopped because it was much more work to grind off the disc lock compared to simply cutting a padlock.  B) 
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Amy_LovelandAmy_Loveland MORegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified
    One way is to sell merchandise like boxes, tape, bubble wrap, ect. this generates a lot of extra money and saves customers time.