Too much Candy!

Options
jayjay
jayjay Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭
I keep a large jar of candy on the counter for everyone who comes in. On occasion I have someone pull literal fists full of candy from the jar.  Just yesterday a grown woman took 2 fists full all while smiling at me saying, "Thank you Lord, oh thank you!"  Like I was supplying her life saving water in a desert!  I just raised my eye brows and smiled.  I'm looking for a fun (not mean!) way to stop the candy monsters!  Ideas?

Comments

• storagestation603
    storagestation603 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    We usually only put out chocolate or special candy on Holidays. Like Halloween & Christmas. The rest of the year we have Bobs Sweet Stripes Soft Peppermint Candy. People do LOVE them; but tend to only take 1 or 2 pieces. So that's a Win for us :) You could try that? 
  • Christa_Gray
    Christa_Gray Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭
    Options
    Leave a little note on the jar that says something like "bet you can't take just one." It's simple and sweet. 
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe you could add a "donation" for a charity.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Faye
    Faye Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have the same thing happen here all the time. The owners insisted on having 2 HUGE bowls on the counter, one filled with chocolate and the other filled with a variety of candy. These are bowls that I would fill to pass out Halloween candy! I was spending close to $95.00 per month at Costco on chocolate and candy. I quit buying the chocolate and don't keep the other bowl filled as full anymore.
  • Krista_Knudsen
    Krista_Knudsen Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭
    Options
    We leave out Dum-Dums. They will rarely take more than one unless they have kids. 
  • sonyawiprud
    sonyawiprud Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I recently switched to a very small bowl and that seems to have helped, they tend to think they need to leave some for others that way. We also keep a cookie jar on the coffee counter, with tongs right on top of the lid, but they always remove the tongs to open the lid, then guess what happens? Hands go in the cookie jar! I hate that!
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Large bowl of Dum-Dum's and tootsie pops. There's those few self entitled customers who literally stuff their pockets...but for the most part people behave.

The worst is finding the used Dum-Dum/tootsie pop sticks stuck to the floor later...KNOWING it's the same people that stuffed their pockets, but not being able to prove it!

Like @Fayewe used to have those mini chocolates, but the $$ spent every month was amazing! 

I changed to the Dum-Dum's, and put $20 a month to bottled water that we give for free to customers.... BEST $20 I've ever spent on marketing!

• Faye
    Faye Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Large bowl of Dum-Dum's and tootsie pops. There's those few self entitled customers who literally stuff their pockets...but for the most part people behave.

The worst is finding the used Dum-Dum/tootsie pop sticks stuck to the floor later...KNOWING it's the same people that stuffed their pockets, but not being able to prove it!

Like @Fayewe used to have those mini chocolates, but the $$ spent every month was amazing! 

I changed to the Dum-Dum's, and put $20 a month to bottled water that we give for free to customers.... BEST $20 I've ever spent on marketing!

I started buying more water as well! I think people appreciate that more than the candy.
  • jayjay
    jayjay Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭
    Options
    I too keep bottled cold water and have fun on hot busy days taking several bottles out with me while I'm showing units to a prospect, and hand them to my tenants who are working.  It's a 2'fer... impresses the prospect and pleases the tenants.
  • Jeffrey_Buller
    Jeffrey_Buller Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    Options
    I am in the desert we don't offer candy we offer water :) 
  • L_Greenwell
    L_Greenwell Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I keep mine behind the counter for kids. When a child comes in, I pull out the candy jar.
  • Clyde_Lord_Jr
    Clyde_Lord_Jr Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭
    Options
    Smaller bowl or generic candy from the $1 store. 
  • Rebecca_Holland
    Rebecca_Holland Registered User, Daily Operations Certified
    Options
    We buy candy from the dollar store and sell it at a small mark up.  For new customers we often offer a "free soda or candy."  They love getting a freebee and we control too much give away.  At times we give our candy sales to a local charity which is also popular with our customers.  
  • skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I quit putting out a bowl of candy... people grabbed by the handfuls which became annoying and I have lost 10 lbs!   :p
  • ministoragecarolina
    ministoragecarolina Registered User
    Options
    We usually just do Halloween, and I just put a few pieces at a time in a SMALL basket. People only seem to take a few pieces. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads