Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SiteLink Support & Sales

Welcome to StorageForum!
If you're new take a look at the StorageForum Terms of Use and don't forget to check out Daily Dilbert!

Telling a customer No

What's the best way you have to tell a person we will not rent to them? I have always found it difficult to explain to a customer that we don't want their business (Or more specifically the trouble they bring)

Comments

• OrkoceanOrkocean CARegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are actually fixing to encounter this exact issue at one of our properties. We're doing cheapest prices in town to fill the box but the area is very lower end with lots of homeless. We were all spitballing ideas to weed them out. One initial idea was if they didn't have a vehicle and license plate info to provide we don't rent to them to try and weed out the homeless but my argument to that was depending on your area you CAN have good customers who ride the bus, bikes or even walk. As far as having no actual denial reason other than you just don't want them cause you know it'll be issues... I don't know the best way to get that across without literally telling them that. 
  • CVSSSTORAGECVSSSTORAGE CARegistered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭
    I just tell them we are full lol
  • i43storagei43storage WIRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭
    When a customer comes in and appears too problematic for a variety of reasons, we have said, "I don't think this is the place for you, perhaps you should look elsewhere.  It doesn't look like our product matches your needs, etc."
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • campcamp CARegistered User
    We require a credit card to start the lease. That weeds out quite a few people.
  • KeriKeri MIRegistered User
    WOW just reading some of the comments makes me fell like none of you want business !! And how do you purpose to weed out problematic clients and what makes a client problematic the way they look dress have tattoos a different color skin??? Do you ask if they our homeless ?? If you are clear that the access hours are a certain time and that you are monitoring those hours it would be quite easy to see who is staying overnight at the facility. 
  • OrkoceanOrkocean CARegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all business is good business. There is no stereotypical good or bad customer honestly. The well off customers can be your biggest headache sometimes. I don't know about everyone else but if you've done this for awhile you can usually get a "vibe" about someone that doesn't feel right, those just get watched extra close. Even the best can miss things, some customers are pretty clever in how to hide their tracks. There was a video years ago on youtube where a guy showed off living in a unit at a public storage I believe. He had that place rigged up, even had a magnet set to the inside of his door to slide his latch over and make it look legit. 
  • i43storagei43storage WIRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭
    @Keri  Problematic customers come in all shapes and sizes.  Like @Orkocean said, sometimes the wealthiest customers cause the most headache.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • KeriKeri MIRegistered User
    All business is good business until you don't want to serve in your Business !! I have been running the same facility for over 14 years you should never pre judge any person walking in the door or assume that they will be problematic is all I am saying.  
  • Matt_WMatt_W NARegistered User
    We require that all tenants provide a picture ID and be able to give us a physical mailing address. This does a little bit to stop the homeless. If we suspect that someone is going to try and live in a storage unit, I'll do extra walk throughs at random times. If they go in for long periods of time it requires addressing.
    Just having a copy of a photo ID and a physical mailing address (or making providing those two things a requirement) might help