Retired Managers who relieve Owners for a Couple of Weeks

opss
opss Registered User ✭✭✭
I am an owner who really likes my company and clients. I like my job and going to work. My problem is finding a relief manager for the few weeks a  year I want to go to Panama or even the Inside Self Storage Events. It would be nice to have a pool of Temporary managers who don't mind running the place for a few days or a few weeks that are already trained. Most Businesses have short term contractors. I was wondering if we could create some kind of a Certified Manager Pool to help with the relief of the owners?  Expensive yes but most people are willing to pay to get away and know someone knows what they are doing. 

Comments

• Faye
    Faye Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    opss said:
    I am an owner who really likes my company and clients. I like my job and going to work. My problem is finding a relief manager for the few weeks a  year I want to go to Panama or even the Inside Self Storage Events. It would be nice to have a pool of Temporary managers who don't mind running the place for a few days or a few weeks that are already trained. Most Businesses have short term contractors. I was wondering if we could create some kind of a Certified Manager Pool to help with the relief of the owners?  Expensive yes but most people are willing to pay to get away and know someone knows what they are doing. 
    What a great idea! It is really hard to find back up for vacations, emergencies and such. 
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is it you are located? Depending on how big of a metro area it is the better your chances of finding quality people you can rely on to cover your place would be. I've been doing storage for 8 years and have never encountered people looking to be the type of workers you are looking for. The retired couples are usually the ones wanting a permanent job as they think storage is easy and all they do is sit behind a desk all day. 

I'm assuming you're a one site owner. Are there other sites around you that you have relations with that you would trust or other owners you know? That would be my first look to see about "borrowing" some of their staff. 
  • opss
    opss Registered User ✭✭✭
    Hi, This is Howard owner of OPSS above,
    Is there any retired self storage operators who want to fly around the US and do relief work, I imagine the pay would be good. Also the credentials would also have to be as good. I am thinking this is a need no one has addressed. For good reason ( liability ) but also technology. We could start by posting on the page if you are interested.
    Howard 
  • Pat
    Pat Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭
    Perhaps retired RV'ers, as they are wandering around anyway.  We thought of this years ago when with a national chain but then we left and I guess it got dropped.
  • Goodteam
    Goodteam Registered User
    Hi, I am new to this forum as my husband and I have just retired as of yesterday from over 7 years in self storage.  I currently manage a 100 unit facility from my home, but the facility is located in another state.  I just do payments, auctions and move ins from my laptop.  We are interested in going around the US and doing some relief work.  I think it is a great idea.  The owner gets some time off and we get to work for a little while.  Sounds like a win win to me.  I am located in Florida, but willing to travel just about anywhere.  My husband and I are both trained on SiteLink and he does maintenance.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    There you go @opss - Your first candidate! :smiley:
  • opss
    opss Registered User ✭✭✭
    Sounds pretty good send me a email through Oak park Self Storage  Camas WA 
  • opss
    opss Registered User ✭✭✭
    Florida was a long way away anybody around Portland, Vancouver area
  • Shawnab8
    Shawnab8 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭
    It would be nice for some people who want to travel. They would be able to travel while working that sounds like a great job for a couple. I however love the company I work for and don't have any plans of leaving. (plus my husband hate traveling all the time) :( 
  • Laurie_Tarter
    Laurie_Tarter Registered User, Daily Operations Certified
    Super super super idea!!  I'll be doing this when I reach the retirement milestone.  Sure wish I had the funds to do that now... 
  • olivermason99
    olivermason99 Registered User
    Fantastic Idea... I am surely gonna follow the idea..
    I share knowledge about Self storage solutions
    And give Best opinions about cheap Storage
    I am Super Storage

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads