Need some input

I just started at a storage facility and I will soon be managing a store, Ive never worked in self storage so I just need some advice on how to get my store running good and what I can do to get more business and customers.. 

Comments

• i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.  Until you get your feet wet a bit, I would suggest two simple things:  

1) Ensure your facility has everything in writing and follow the rules.  It's like making a dish for the first time - follow the recipe exactly as written the first time you make it, then once you see how it works, you can finesse it a bit.

2) Before jumping into marketing your business, ensure your business is worth marketing by making it clean and safe and functioning properly.  Once you have a great product, then you can think about how best to market.  

Hope that helps.  Good luck!
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

Learn the Lien laws in your state!

If the company doesn't already have established policies (waiving fees, prorating, etc.) define them! put everything into writing so the protocols are clear and easy to follow.

Audit every unit; make sure there are no "under the table" or "missing" contracts. you have to get the house in order before you start gaining business. Foundation before roof!

Shop every facility within 10 miles; get prices, occupancy, and rate them according to your facility (are they cleaner/dirtier? are they more secure/less? once you have an idea where your store falls on the scale, market to your strengths.

Always remember to do the 20% of work that gets you to 80% of the results... don't worry about that last 20% yet.

....I have to go get my soapbox!

• nmartino
    nmartino Registered User
    I just started at a storage facility a few months ago. The manager here populates all to-do items in outlook calendar and I find it so helpful when remembering when to process reports and do daily managerial tasks.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads