The Tenant From Hell!!!

Options
I just wanted to alert other self-storage facilities in Davis County, Utah, of a tenant who has been kicked out of many self-storage facilities, doesn't pay, has a red lock key, mounds up huge stacks of useless junk, drags his trailer in and sleeps in it by his units, drilled out the lock we gave him.  We evicted him and he still wouldn't leave and the amount of junk and garbage still got bigger.  We had to rent a huge dumpster to clean up one mess in front of his unit and will have to rent another one to clean up the other one.  We finally had to have the local police give him a citation for trespassing so he would leave.  Do Not Rent to WESLEY PARKS.   Freeway Storage, West Bountiful, Utah

Comments

• Drew_Scadoo
    Drew_Scadoo Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sorry you had to deal with that, that's ridiculous!  
  • ShedStuff
    ShedStuff Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options

I think it's great that you shared this information for those around your facility! I actually wish there was a way that each county(surrounding counties) had a data base to share those that are problems in storage units. It would certainly be away for storage facilities to be aware of prospective issues and to AVOID them; as these people cost us more money than revenue! (and our time)
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've always wondered about the legality of a secure searchable database website - only for self storage facilities - that list evictions and "Tenant issues" information.

It could be an invite only site where facilities can list tenants who broke rules (sleeping in units, dumping garbage, etc..) as well as owing money and auctioned tenants too. Be a simple search field where we could quickly type a clients name in.

In my area the locally owned facilities share an Excel sheet that lists the "do not rent" people....either for evictions, dumping, nonpayment etc... it gets passed around every week and added to/updated. It has saved a TON of heartache and a few thefts too! We've even had one tenant who would rent units and simply dump used tires (using the same fake ID & allowing the unit to go to auction) and got him arrested/fined too.

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've always wondered about the legality of a secure searchable database website - only for self storage facilities - that list evictions and "Tenant issues" information.

It could be an invite only site where facilities can list tenants who broke rules (sleeping in units, dumping garbage, etc..) as well as owing money and auctioned tenants too. Be a simple search field where we could quickly type a clients name in.

Back around 2010 there was one.  However, it was so sparsely used that eventually went away.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @teamcapitola
    if we have a tenant bad enough I just call neighboring facilities, we try to keep open communication with all the other storage places in the area. It has really helped
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In my area the locally owned facilities share an Excel sheet that lists the "do not rent" people....either for evictions, dumping, nonpayment etc... it gets passed around every week and added to/updated. It has saved a TON of heartache and a few thefts too! We've even had one tenant who would rent units and simply dump used tires (using the same fake ID & allowing the unit to go to auction) and got him arrested/fined too.

It's nice when operators work WITH each other instead of thinking of them as the "enemy". I've noticed over the years it's hit or miss on finding managers who are willing to even talk to you when you come in. I've had some look at me like I killed their favorite dog and others who welcome me and offer site tours etc.. I'm actually going to go visit some today if I can get enough free time to try and build some connections here in Stockton. Been kicking around the idea of maybe trying to plan for a "meet up" as it seems quite a few of us regulars on here are semi close to each other here in Cali. 
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see why other managers wouldn't talk with other managers. It helps in the long run to keep communication open. 
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm lucky enough to work in a high demand high rent area; more customers than storage for the most part. All the "mom n pop" stores communicate well with each other and are mostly the "us against the big orange n green"... all of us pretty much sit around 90-95% occupancy year round.

Don't get me started on the median home price here though! 

• Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised, just went to 4 sites and managed to talk to staff at 3 of them. The public storage was out of office. Everyone I did speak to was welcoming, only 1 had a price list they'd share readily available but the others "said" they would send me one over, so we will see. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads