Adding a credit to an account

Options
Is there an easy way to add credit to a customers account??  I've done a search, and all I can find is an awkward method requiring  adding "future charges", and a dozen steps to go through. Is there a better way that is not such a huge, convoluted mess?

Granted; I just upgraded to Web Edition from a much older stand-alone version. What happened to a simple "Add Credit" button???

This is the only procedure I found:

1. Go to the payment screen and double click on the tenant from the list. 
2. Check the "Make Future Charges" box.
3.Enter an amount of a "future charge"
4. Click OK.
5. Click "Yes".
6. Go back to the payment screen again and select the same tenant again.
7. C
lick on "Edit Charges & Payments".
8. Go to the "Credit" column.
9. Add an amount to credit.
10. Click OK.
11. Click "Yes".
12. Print receipt.

Comments

• themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I think the best way to handle that would normally be to discount instead of credit, or perhaps to "take payment" for the credit amount, though of course that will mess up your shift or daily close.

If, however, you are moving someone in and they have a credit owed from the previous management software, under "Setup", "Units and Tenants", "Put Tenants in Units", you can enter any credit that may have carried over.

• Faye
    Faye Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
     :) 
  • thomaspeket
    thomaspeket Registered User
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Some websites haven't been updated in ages! So there are a number of problems or errors. I have often taken a loan from a trusted site, but after the update, the design became miserable, everything hung up, in general I did not like the update. For future home construction,I took out an online loan at https://www.kertaluotto.com/kertalaina-400-e/ .  I have no problems with this site. I fill out the form, and after literally 5 minutes, I get my money with a low interest refund.

• teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    themage said:
    I think the best way to handle that would normally be to discount instead of credit, or perhaps to "take payment" for the credit amount, though of course that will mess up your shift or daily close.

If, however, you are moving someone in and they have a credit owed from the previous management software, under "Setup", "Units and Tenants", "Put Tenants in Units", you can enter any credit that may have carried over.

Also if you have a situation where a credit is left over from a move out (prorated or such during move out) you can easily add it when the tenant rents again in the future; just link the unit to the same name during the move in, complete it with zero cash payment. Go back into the old account and just transfer the credit by clicking" return or edit refund" then click on  "apply to another unit leased by this tenant"
  • mistore
    mistore Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    mistore said:
    Is there an easy way to add credit to a customers account??  I've done a search, and all I can find is an awkward method requiring  adding "future charges", and a dozen steps to go through. Is there a better way that is not such a huge, convoluted mess?

Granted; I just upgraded to Web Edition from a much older stand-alone version. What happened to a simple "Add Credit" button???

This is the only procedure I found:

1. Go to the payment screen and double click on the tenant from the list. 
    2. Check the "Make Future Charges" box.
    3.Enter an amount of a "future charge"
    4. Click OK.
    5. Click "Yes".
    6. Go back to the payment screen again and select the same tenant again.
    7. Click on "Edit Charges & Payments".
    8. Go to the "Credit" column.
    9. Add an amount to credit.
    10. Click OK.
    11. Click "Yes".
    12. Print receipt.

Anybody ever find an easier way to do this?? I can't be the only person in the storage industry that wants to add a credit to a customers account?

Even if I go through this 12 step program, I still can not just add a lump sum of credit to an account; I have to divide it up and offset each and every future monthly charge with an equal offsetting amount and make sure to keep track that the total is what I want. 

What is the business purpose to make what used to be a simple task, so difficult? Am I missing something?
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you want to offset the rent for several periods, you could set up a temporary discount. If it is something they paid in advance, then shouldn't it be handled as a payment? I guess I am not sure why you want to add such a large credit that you would need to spread it across several payments.

Sitelink has to meet certain accounting requirements, including matching credits and payments to specific charges.
  • mistore
    mistore Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    I don't want to have to spread it across several payments, that seems to be what SiteLink forces me to do. I have, from time to time, tenants that either do some work for me, or have some situation where I want to credit their account for some amount.

In this case, I have a long term tenant that did all the vinyl numbers for a new building we just finished. They preferred to just apply it to their account. I've had scenarios where I've comped tenants for access inconveniences due to facility maintenance or issues, moving units due to site development, and just taking care of general cleanout/maintenance tasks. 

-It didn't make any sense to write them a check, just to have them write me a check immediately back for the same amount. 
    -It didn't make any sense to add it as a "payment" to their account.
    -It didn't make any sense to credit them a little bit every month once charges were created, but before their autopay was ran.
    -It doesn't make any sense to set up a discount plan just for random, one-off things.

It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it's just a huge pain. You used to be able to just "Add Credit" in a single transaction; you would enter the amount, where it was going, and the reason. It would be logged on their account ledger and would show up on the various report outs available. It was a clean way to log and account for these transactions that was a win-win for both tenant and facility.

If there is an easier way to handle these situations, I'm all ears, but so far there doesn't seem to be.  
  • themage
    Options
    hmm... In that particular case I probably would have written the check and payed it into their account, but I can see where that might be problematic in itself under certain circumstances. It would be the fastest way to apply it to an account, though.

If you have to process it as a credit, I think you are stuck with having to charge X months ahead and then credit each month. It is awkward, but our accountant loves it because everything lines up neatly on their double entry sheets.

• JulieAton
    JulieAton Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Processed a move out today and I wanted to "refund" a late fee the tenant had paid that I was going to credit and didn't get done before they paid online.  I even created Sept Rent and added the $10 credit to that but it didn't calculate in the refund mount when I processed the moveout.  Sometimes we run into situations where we actually owe the tenant a little bit of money for something!  We should easily be able to issue a credit on an account easily.
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This procedure is the most researched and safe one that exists globally. It is complicated, and you have to do a lot of research to comprehend it, but you must understand that adding credit to an account is cumbersome and risky.
    Standby for edited comment, only to include sketchy link **eyeroll**

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads