Need some help getting started!

Hello Everyone. I have been working at my facility for a while now and unfortunately the property manager had a family emergency and to leave the company.
So that moved me up to the property manager. I do know all the basics and more. I just want to make sure that I do the best job and make an impression on the owner when he comes in to check in. Can all  you other property managers  give me some advice and tips and ideas on what to do?! What all would you expect to see done and happening when you walk in as an owner checking on prop man?>>

Comments

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure your property and office is clean! Keep your paperwork tidy and organized. If you're not busy with customers or cleaning the office, be outside working, cleaning, etc. They want to know they are getting their money's worth. Keep up with tenants that are past due, in lock cut status, and/or auction status. Make spread sheets if needed. Know your companies policies and procedures; know your state laws in regards to storage. Try your best to keep good re pore with your customers and tenants. If you don't know something, don't try to fill in the blanks, let the customer know you will get back with them. It's almost the same as an assistant manager duties, but with more paperwork and responsibility. You won't have your manager there to advise you on what to do daily/weekly, so you will have to take initiative to do the things that need to be done (even when you don't want to do them). Make yourself a to-do list everyday or weekly and try your best to stick to it. These are some of the things I can think of off the top off my head. I'm sure there will be other great input as well :) Good luck on the new position!
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I visit sites I expect to see a clean office/property in all aspects. Bathrooms, hallways/aisles, parking area, vacant units. Employees dressed professionally, policies being followed. Could go on and on but that's getting into specifics and I just wanted to give a broad scope as every company is different when they come in and what they expect. You should ask for a sit down with your higher ups and make a list of their expectations for the site.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

The owners are going to know that you were "stuffed" into the position, so give them the impression that you were ready to go all along!

Right now they just want to be sure that the facility isn't going to burn down; that you are competent to run day to day stuff. You don't need to reinvent the wheel right now, just reassure them that you can handle things.

Other  than that, and everyone else's comments, know your facilities key numbers,  where you can improve, and anything that is pressing/needs action ASAP ( facility repairs or other craziness).

Everyone on the forum is here for you to ask questions, so feel free!

• alauser
    alauser Registered User
    Thank You all very much for all of your input. I got this! :)

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads