Credit's "grayed" Out?

Options
GSS
GSS Registered User ✭✭✭
Why is the credit's part under the Edit Charges & Payment grayed out? I seem to only be allowed to add the credit under the discount section. 
Tagged:

Comments

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That happens when a new charge hasn't been saved yet.  On those, you can only do a discount.  On a saved charge, you can only do a credit.

So to do the credit, add the charge and then go back to the payment screen and click Okay to save the charge.  Then go back to the account and go to Edit Charges and Payments, and you'll be able to add the credit.
  • mistore
    mistore Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    Adding credit to an account in the software is a convoluted mess and makes no sense whatsoever.
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You could be blocked from adding credits but not discounts..like me
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mistore said:
    Adding credit to an account in the software is a convoluted mess and makes no sense whatsoever.
    How does it not make sense? I've been training people how to use the system for 8 years now and have never had anyone not understand it, maybe it's just been explained poorly to you and I could help you better understand it. 
  • mistore
    mistore Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    Orkocean said:
    mistore said:
    How does it not make sense? I've been training people how to use the system for 8 years now and have never had anyone not understand it, maybe it's just been explained poorly to you and I could help you better understand it. 
    Absolutely! I couldn't find any way to simply add X amount of credit to an existing customers account. It is something I do fairly frequently, for a variety of reasons, and that I could always do on the older, stand-alone version I had by just clicking through to the tenant payment screen and clicking on the "Add Credit" button.

Searching through the forums; I found this "procedure"; which I tried to use, but all it did was add prepayment which then screws up the end of day close.

1. Go to the payment screen and double click on the tenant from the list. 
    2. Check the "Make Future Charges" box.
    3.Enter an amount of a "future charge"
    4. Click OK.
    5. Click "Yes".
    6. Go back to the payment screen again and select the same tenant again.
    7. Click on "Edit Charges & Payments".
    8. Go to the "Credit" column.
    9. Add an amount to credit.
    10. Click OK.
    11. Click "Yes".
    12. Print receipt.

Is there a better way??
  • JamesStorage
    JamesStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @mistore

That procedure was designed for adding Move in specials and the like to existing accounts so they are charged specific amounts in upcoming months. It's not necessary if you're just adding a credit

Go to the highlighted area instead at the bottom of the customer's account screen.

Then at the top of the new screen, click in the highlighted area

You can then key in the amount of credit you want to apply. It'll ask for a reason and then you'll need to save the changes by clicking the OK button like you normally do when taking payments and the like.

If I remember right, you can't credit more than the amount owed, so if that happens, you'll have to apply the remainder when the next charges are generated

• i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @JamesStorage  I have the same issue as @mistore    
    In order to give a credit to someone, you first need to add an expense.  You have "rent" already as your expense listed in your screenshot above.  We want to add a credit with there is nothing listed as an expense.  If there is a way to do that, please share.  Thanks.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So in the web edition you kind of have to think of "Credit" and "discount" as the same thing if you want things to be as easy as possible. If there is a charge on an account you can "Credit" the account, if you are wanting to for whatever your reason reduce the amount they are going to owe on a future payment you can place a discount on a unit which then automatically adds the next months charge to the account with the discount applied.

As an example *and yes we know it's against the terms but no sites truly care now a days* we give a $10 discount for a positive online review. So is John Doe leaves me a positive review and I want to go into his account to apply the $10 I simply click "Edit charges & payments" then click "Apply Discount Plan" and select the one we have made for social reviews. This will add a new months of rent and apply the discount needed. If there is already a current charge on the account as they may of had an invoice sent out already then I would just type in and apply the $10 credit to the listed rent fee already there.

If you have a regular "credit" you are needed to apply to accounts if it's the same amount I would suggest credit a discount plan in your system so it lists in your "apply discount plan" options so it's a quick click and apply.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Orkocean - Thanks.  This system does work well when you have a set discount you give for certain things.  When the credit you want to make does not match any discount, it would be easier to simply give a credit without first having to add an expense.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Orkocean
    Options
    @i43storage Agreed, we have generic discounts put in we can apply then alter if need be. For instance our social review one auto applies a $10 discount but if they do multiple reviews on various sites once I apply it from the drop down menu I can simply click on the $10 under the discount line and type in whatever amount I need. I've seen a lot of people that did not realize if the box is highlighted blue you can type in it to change numbers if need be.
  • i43storage
    Options
    @Orkocean - nice work around, it's just too bad that the future rent always needs to show up.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • JulieA
    JulieA Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    MamaDuke7 said:
    That happens when a new charge hasn't been saved yet.  On those, you can only do a discount.  On a saved charge, you can only do a credit.

So to do the credit, add the charge and then go back to the payment screen and click Okay to save the charge.  Then go back to the account and go to Edit Charges and Payments, and you'll be able to add the credit.

Should be a one step process! Drives me crazier!!

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JulieA said:
    MamaDuke7 said:

Personally, I just apply it as a discount if it's a new charge.  I don't care if it's a "discount" or a "credit" as long as the customer gets the reduction they are due!
  • JulieA
    JulieA Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    MamaDuke7 said:
    JulieA said:
    MamaDuke7 said:

Personally, I just apply it as a discount if it's a new charge.  I don't care if it's a "discount" or a "credit" as long as the customer gets the reduction they are due!

Same here!  

• GSS
    GSS Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    So I guess the next question is, if you apply the credit or discount under either one, how does that effect certain reports? 
  • MamaDuke7
    Options
    GSS said:
    So I guess the next question is, if you apply the credit or discount under either one, how does that effect certain reports? 
    The credits will be in the "Credits Issued" report.  Discounts are in the "Discounts" report.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads