Online payments/accounts & password restrictions

Options
teamcapitola
teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
I just had a new customer come by with issues creating the online SMD account for payments etc. He kept getting a failure to register message and didn't know why.

He wants to use a randomly generated 30 character password, and it seems that is the problem. I used a simpler password and created his account. He's a software guy (like EVERYONE here in the bay area) so he's quirky about security.

Anyone else run into password issues or restrictions (other than the published requirements) ?

I sent a tech support email in yesterday simply asking if there was a problem with a 30 character P/W, but the response was frustrating beyond belief...which seems to be the norm now. Its as if they don't actually read the questions, and simply auto-send a generic response based on identified keywords!

"I understand that you would like assistance with password restrictions for online accounts. I would be more than happy to assist you with this.

Please note that the customer would have to create a password that is at lesat 8 characters in length, it must contain one number, one uppercase letter, and at least one special character is recommended. "

I'm not really surprised....they still haven't answered the last question, but were quick to "close" the forum conversation LOL!

Comments

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe since the gate code can't be more than 10 digits, there is also an upper limit for the account password?  But I would think it would be noted if that were the case.

Maybe the customer's randomizer just did not meet the one number, one uppercase letter requirement.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the same as @MamaDuke7 and that it can't be that long. I know even gate codes that are too long can cause problems in sitelink. I've been on with tech in the past and if they see any 10 digit gate codes they would say take them out. 

As nice as sitelink is compared to others i've dealt with it's actually a pretty outdated program. I brought a friend in to the company who's background is programming/UX/web development and he just laughs everytime he sees a new "quirk" about the software that he can't fathom how they havn't changed or updated. 
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Orkocean said: ... he can't fathom how they havn't changed or updated. 
    OH.  MY.  GOODNESS.  YES.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options

I'm leaning towards MamaDuke7's response.. the 10 character limit...that actually makes some sense in the great scheme of Sitelink logic.  

Would have been SO nice to just get a "oh, well there IS a limit...you can only have 10 characters" as an emailed answer!

I just WISH that when I send a simple question to tech support, just once, could they actually just ANSWER the damn question?!? 

Its like asking a straight forward "is that a blue recycle can?"

and getting an email later "well, on Tuesday its called lukewarm green. Possibly on Sundays it could be a yellow. We could start with purple?  Thank you for contacting us!"

Maybe they should stop "expanding tech support" as it used to be perfectly fine! oh wait...that was before Sparefoot came into the picture huh?

• Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @teamcapitola,

Thank you for inquiring about a blue recycle bin! We are glad you chose to include your site in a recycling program! That is great for the environment to help keep the sky's blue! Once again we would like to thank you for choosing our services and hope this message does not make it into your trash bin on accident! Have a good day!

Ok if no one gets a giggle out of that keyworded email response i'm retiring from comedy! 
  • teamcapitola
    Options

And I STILL don't have a straight answer from Sitelink. That makes three outstanding issues that I have yet to receive any solution for. 

I always get that polite first email that includes the basic FAQ answer that anyone using the software for a year can answer, but NOTHING containing an answer.

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @teamcapitola I just got off hte phone with tech support because it was bugging me to not have an answer that may come up for me one day...The max would be 10 characters and min 8, as you stated. I had to be transferred a couple times, but got the answer. I know when a generated pw is done, it will usually let you edit it then save afterwards, that might be what your tenant has to do, if he is still set on the generated pw. 
  • Orkocean
    Options
    @ESS I'm not sure i'd trust the min 8 that they stated. We set every account up here with a temp password from the time they move in to fast track their online setup as we copy their 4 digit passcode as their first web password as well and never had issues with it saying not long enough. Sounds like another canned response without real knowledge :)
  • teamcapitola
    Options

AND here lies the problem.... Now we don't actually trust the answers tech support gives us.

Anyone remember when tech support used to answer questions put on the forums?  I do!

It used to be a SINGLE call, with a single person who could not only answer, but would also explain why, any issues.

Its lovely that I can do all sorts of crap with MyHub... features I'll never use.... but I want my tech support back!!!

• Orkocean
    Options

AND here lies the problem.... Now we don't actually trust the answers tech support gives us.

Anyone remember when tech support used to answer questions put on the forums?  I do!

It used to be a SINGLE call, with a single person who could not only answer, but would also explain why, any issues.

Its lovely that I can do all sorts of crap with MyHub... features I'll never use.... but I want my tech support back!!!

Wait... 
    I thought tech support just came to forums to give me the badges and acknowledge my answers to people were correct?!? LOL
  • teamcapitola
    edited September 2019
    Options

Well... I just used a 14 character password just to test, and its working just fine. So the 10 character limit is not right.

Guess I could spend my day sequentially adding characters until it doesn't work...then at least I could give my customer an answer...glad I didn't tell him 10!

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He seemed pretty wishy washy about the answer. I too, sometimes set up accounts for tenants and usually use a simple 4 digit number for them to go in and change. BTW, I just tested it, and so far I am up to 16 characters, so that's that lol
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The web form may also have different limits than our Sitelink box, which allows up to 20 characters. The web pages will set their own requirements, but 20 seems likely.

Long gate codes is an interesting problem. We used to have DigiGate which used (up to) 10 digit codes, and we never had a problem with Sitelink handling it. Our new system can only handle 9 digits and doesn't like our old 10 digit codes, but that's for another discussion.

• teamcapitola
    Options

Well. As time permits, i'll keep trying longer passwords.

If anyone hits the upper limit, please post so the community will actually have an answer to the question. 

• i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well. As time permits, i'll keep trying longer passwords.

If anyone hits the upper limit, please post so the community will actually have an answer to the question. 

To infinity and beyond!!
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads