Costly glitch in software

Options
RS4u
RS4u Registered User, Daily Operations Certified
I was wondering if anyone had experienced my costly issue with the software (or even worse are experiencing it and are not aware). When I opened my 300 unit facility one year ago, I set up my credit card processing with my large regional bank. Unknown to me, a fraud filter that is preset by the processor at 100 transactions per hour maximum was turned on. As I filled my location and crossed the threshold of 100 tenants on autodraft, which all begin to draft at 12:01AM on the 1st of each month, the processor would assign a reference number but not a Authorization number to accounts after the initial 100.  SiteLink would show them paid by that card on my customer screen and send the customer (and in our system) a paid in full receipt. They did not show up on my Batch Processing Failures sent to me by SiteLink. Certainly an unauthorized card with no payment should be on this list and not credited to the customers account with a paid in full email sent. This occurred 50 times over 5 months until an internal audit found the discrepancy. We did have 2 extremely honest (or financially savvy) customers call a week after their non-transaction, but we reviewed there account in SiteLink and told them to monitor their bank statement because we are showing paid in our system. Thoughts or comments

Answers

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    This would be an issue from the payment processor, not Sitelink.  Sitelink doesn't have a way to know if that filter is turned on.  If it gets a reference number that's not a declined transaction, I don't know how it would differentiate.

I would be giving the processing company grief for this.

Also, if the CC deposits were being verified regularly, this would have been caught much sooner.
  • JamesStorage
    JamesStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Definitely something to go harass the processer about. Did they ever actually process the transactions or did they just send a reference number? Sitelink has no way to know what exactly is being said. It either gets a pass or fail response
  • RS4u
    Options
    Like I stated, we receive the Batch Processing Failures report from SiteLink after each monthly batch. Everyone of them is assigned a transaction number but does not have authorization because of non-payment. Credit card invalid, AVS mismatch, etc. show up on the report but no authorization. SiteLink does not send a paid receipt to the email of these unauthorized transactions (we have that function turned on for authorized payments) and Sitelink does not reflect that customer as paid in full in our SiteLink records. SiteLink would know because like all the others on the Batch Processing Failures report we receive monthly, there is a transaction number but not an authorization number showing the bank actually paid the transaction. The system should never send a paid receipt or update our files as paid based solely on a transaction number as it has to be assigned a this number to be declined or approved. 
  • JulieA
    JulieA Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Bank account reconciliation didn't catch this? 
  • RS4u
    Options
    The processor only assigned a transaction number. It was a "suspicious transaction" so it was not assigned a authorization and not processed. It was eventually caught on bank reconciliation, but the damage was done. Would you ever expect SiteLink to send your tenant a paid receipt if it was not paid ? Would you expect SiteLink to update all your files and reports as paid on unpaid suspicious transactions of credit cards. I would look for this activity on my Credit Card Batch Processing Failures and address it the next day when the report appeared from SiteLink.
  • JulieA
    JulieA Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    We basically reconcile everyday.  Especially Card & ACH transactions! Learned the hard way. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads