certified mail vs certificate of mailing

Options
When mailing out the lien/term of lease/abandon unit ect. is it ok to send it *certificate of mailing ? or does it have to be *cerified mail? I heard somewhere that you could just do the certificate of mailing, because you don't have to know if the person received it or not you just have to prove that you sent it. HELP :)  

Comments

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In Texas we send Verified bulk mail if we have 3 or more since it is cheaper than certified. We are not actually required to do it tho. We can send via email and it will be good enough for the lien laws here. Check with your state's to be sure
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That varies by state, so you need to check your state lien laws to find out.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options

In California, you just need "Certificate of mailing" not Certified (although you can do certified...just costs a lot more) to satisfy the Lien requirements.

Really, you just need to be able to prove that you actually sent the lien, and it was on a specific date.

21703  - "The notice shall be sent by certified mail, postage prepaid, or by regular first-class mail if the owner obtains a certificate of mailing indicating the date the notice was mailed."

Get a Firm Mailing book from the post office to record the mailings, and ask for cert of mail when you bring it & the mail to them.

• Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been using firm book method for years but we use the digital form so we can type it all in :)    Stopped using the physical book about 8 years ago.
  • ShedStuff
    ShedStuff Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    In Ohio.....we are able to use certificate of mailing to the last known address provided to us by the tenant.
  • BusyProperties
    BusyProperties Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Does anyone have a template for the abandonment of unit letter that they would be willing to share? 
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Release Of Owner’s Interest in Personal Property

I, <Tenant.Name>, hereby declare that I am the sole legal owner of all miscellaneous personal property stored in space number <Tenant.UnitName> located at XYZ Self Storage, 123 Main Street, Anytown USA 12345.

I, hereby abandon the premises described above, as well as all personal property contained therein.  This release Is given in lieu of  $<Tenant.BalanceCurrent>, based on rent/storage/fees due from me to XYZ Self Storage.

XYZ Self Storage will make no further collection efforts on this account and agrees to accept this release as final settlement of any/all monies owed.

I hereby relinquish all interest in the personal property located in the premises described above, and authorize XYZ Self Storage to dispose of said personal property in any manner whatsoever which may include selling said property or donating said property to a charitable organization.

Tenant’s Signature ____________________________________________________________________________________
    Date _____________________________________

Manager’s Signature __________________________________________________________________________________
    Date _____________________________________

• rmason
    rmason Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    In Florida we use certificate of mailing approved by our lawyer.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads