EVICTION

WE HAVE A TENANT WHO WE WILL NOT BE RENEWING HIS LEASE.  HAS ANYONE HAD PROBLEMS GETTING A TENANT OUT OF A UNIT AFTER TERMINATION?

Comments

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, thankfully. If we hand them a non-renewal, it states anything left in the unit after that date, becomes ours. We then place our overlock on it after the 15 or 30 days, whichever one we serve them with and that's that. The very few tenants we have had to do this with, were always out before the deadline. Ours are month to month so that makes it a little easier.
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Yes, a couple times.  And in CA, you can't just tell them what they leave is ours.  If they don't move out, then you have to do a court eviction.

They usually leave when they aren't wanted, but some are super stubborn.  One of mine actually filed a $10 Million lawsuit against us and it dragged out for years!  But he was "special" and had done this to at least 50 other storage properties.  That was how he made his living - getting out-of-court settlements! :o 
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MamaDuke7 First of all...wow! I'm so glad I haven't had to deal with anyone like that! Second, I'm also glad we don't have to do evictions. I've heard it's a pain! I've heard many wacky laws and stipulations in regards to California and am happy to be here in TX
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MamaDuke7 10 million?!?!? What on earth was his justification for that amount, typically all company leases have a 5k limit, did yours not have that? For it to go on for years is just wow..... Our owners had to spend 2 weeks due to an auctioned tenant last year trying to claim what I thought was crazy amounts but sheesh.... 
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Orkocean said:
    @MamaDuke7 10 million?!?!? What on earth was his justification for that amount, typically all company leases have a 5k limit, did yours not have that? For it to go on for years is just wow..... Our owners had to spend 2 weeks due to an auctioned tenant last year trying to claim what I thought was crazy amounts but sheesh.... 
    It was 10 counts at $1 Million each.  Wrongful late fees, wrongful imprisonment of his stuff, and I've forgotten all of it.  I had to go through all 50+ pages and answer each item.

It named the management company, the employee training company, the owner of each, the owner of the property, me, our company attorney, and more.  He was known to even name the judges in some of his suits!  He. Was. NUTS!

Even more interesting is that I later went to another company in the same city.  They had just lost a suit to him for around $5,000 but it had also taken a couple years!
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.. now if ever there was a person for a black list on who not to rent to lol
  • MamaDuke7
    I did call the other local facilities to give them his name and let them know his MO.  Most acted like I was crazy for calling, but I did what I needed to do!
  • Orkocean
    Really? Just goes to show how some in the industry are actually FOR the industry and others are just seat fillers. I've learned those that actually enjoy the industry and plan on staying it it treat you a lot better when you visit/call them versus those that are just collecting a paycheck.
  • 6651storage
    6651storage Registered User
    so what do you do when they do not leave?
  • MamaDuke7
    so what do you do when they do not leave?
    A legal court eviction, just like an apartment.
  • MrFugate
    MrFugate Registered User ✭✭✭
    Last month we sent out Lease Termination letters to ALL of our customers, Building is being taken down & a new building is planned to built. Over 425units we gave then 45 days , by TX law we only have to give 15 days. Everything was explained in the letter we sent out but the amount of people who are bagging for 2 or 3 months more is mind blowing.. I hope we don't have to evict people after all of this... 
  • Pat
    Pat Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭
    Where are you located in TX?
  • Orkocean
    MrFugate said:
    Last month we sent out Lease Termination letters to ALL of our customers, Building is being taken down & a new building is planned to built. Over 425units we gave then 45 days , by TX law we only have to give 15 days. Everything was explained in the letter we sent out but the amount of people who are bagging for 2 or 3 months more is mind blowing.. I hope we don't have to evict people after all of this... 
    Oh man, those are never fun. Done it a few times around the country with parking spaces to put a building, mold infested buildings needing to be redone or roofs being completely gutted and redone. I've NEVER had everyone abide and our companies would get stuck towing vehicles or paying movers to move stuff out of the way. 
  • GoGreen
    GoGreen Registered User ✭✭✭
    If someone is evicted and does not move out by the set date, we proceed with regular auction procedures for the unit. For the most part, we will still allow them to pay their unit in full and move out the unit in a single day all the way up until the auction, but if they fail to do so then they go to auction as scheduled. By then they've had plenty of time/opportunity to re-acquire their items if they are that important to them. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads