Credit Card payments

Options
Faye
Faye Registered User ✭✭✭✭
When taking a cc pmt either over the phone or in person, what information do you collect?
How do you know if the payment is over the phone that the credit card isn't stolen or the person using it has permission to use the card?
I would like to make the 3 digit code, address and name an area that must be filled in before processing. SL tells me this isn't a option in their system. We of course will need to make this a company policy but.........

Comments

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In person, we check the name (I know most of my tenants) swipe the card, ask if the billing address is still same as their address on file, auto fill AVS for that, and type in the CVV #. We do not allow payments over the phone, only online and in-store - unless they have previously signed to store a CC on file. Maybe SL could consider letting stores choose which info they require....just like when you set up requirements for move-ins. 
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We take payments over the phone.  Have never once had a problem.  It is no different than a tenant logging into their account and making a payment with a credit card themselves.  Maybe they have permission, maybe they don't.  Maybe it's stolen, maybe it's not. Thousands of companies do it all the time either on the phone or online.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Faye
    Faye Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We take payments over the phone.  Have never once had a problem.  It is no different than a tenant logging into their account and making a payment with a credit card themselves.  Maybe they have permission, maybe they don't.  Maybe it's stolen, maybe it's not. Thousands of companies do it all the time either on the phone or online.
    We have someone disputing 3 out of 13 charges on a card we have on file. I think we got caught up in the middle of a break up / fight between 2 people. Our attorney doesn't think it is worth pursuing.
    We are not PCI compliant and we do not have a credit card machine. We input everything into SL.
  • AKKathie
    AKKathie Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with @i43storage.  We had a stolen card just once used over the phone.  The previous employer of the customer called and said charges were not his.  This customer had been with us for awhile so we had no need to question their pmts.  The employer filed a claim with his credit card company.  We put charges back on account, made a note in file and evicted them.  Customer ended up paying cash and moving out.
  • LADYLIFT1
    LADYLIFT1 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    When you take the card over the phone do you use the 3 digit code on the card cvv
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LADYLIFT1 said:
    When you take the card over the phone do you use the 3 digit code on the card cvv
    Every company is different on what they require, it does reduce processing costs by a small tick which adds up when you factor how many you do in a year. No real reason NOT to require it.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LADYLIFT1 said:
    Like @Orkocean said, it will reduce the processing cost by a bit.  No reason not to ask for it.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • sonyawiprud
    sonyawiprud Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    LADYLIFT1 said:
    When you ask for the 3 digit code it can possibly deter people who have managed to steal the numbers from a card front but didn't get the back, this helps with that kind of fraud. We ask for the digits for that small discount. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads