How do you handle transfers who don't transfer?

Options
i43storage
i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
I have handled this dilemma different ways over the years and am wondering if there are any ways left I have not explored.  Everyone here seems very clever in their work-arounds and thought you could share.  Dilemma:  A tenant transfers to a new unit but they don't move out of the old unit in a timely manner. 

I bring it up because yesterday I had a tenant move out of the new unit but they are still in the old unit.  ;)
Jean Marie
I-43 Storage

Comments

• Pat
    Pat Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭
    Options
    I usually put the old unit as unrentable for a couple of days while they move over. If they are out of new and still in old, why not just transfer them back?  Had alot of this after Harvey.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I let them know they will be charged by the day they are in that other unit. Every day they are in two units that's money your company is missing out on
  • Faye
    Faye Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I move them into new unit, make them pay for new unit and then do the move out of old unit once it is emptied. I transfer any monies paid on old unit to new unit. Have been burned too many times with "it won't take more than a few days"! Ha!
  • Dtinfla
    Dtinfla Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I tell them that after 48 hours, we will start charging them per day on the unit they were supposed to move out of.  
  • Dtinfla
    Dtinfla Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Faye said:
    I move them into new unit, make them pay for new unit and then do the move out of old unit once it is emptied. I transfer any monies paid on old unit to new unit. Have been burned too many times with "it won't take more than a few days"! Ha!
    I try to do this whenever possible, I tell them "that way, you don't have to rush, you can take your time!"  Doesn't always work though...
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rare to happen but it did just happen last month to us. We ended up re-renting the original unit to them in the system and gate locked since the unis are linked since it now has money owed. They came in, questioned, were told they were explained in detail that it's 24 hours to move over, they tried running a scam and getting 2 units as they had no intention of transferring as they never even took stuff from the original, just brought more in with a uhaul to the new unit. 
  • Matt_W
    Matt_W Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    Dtinfla said:
    Faye said:
    I try to do this whenever possible, I tell them "that way, you don't have to rush, you can take your time!"  Doesn't always work though...
    I do this also, as standard. It is more of an incentive then for the tenant to move out. If they don't end up moving in good time, they might end up paying for two units...
  • JEFFRY
    JEFFRY Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Faye that's exactly what we do here! I'm so thankful we do it that way just because of all the headaches we've had to deal with over the years i don't need one more thing to worry about.
  • Taslim
    Taslim Registered User
    Options
    We give 24 hr time to transfer. After that we start to charge per day in the new account. But making a new move in and then moving them out and transferring money looks more feasible
    Taslim Arif
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments.  It's more work, but I do believe not using the transfer option in Sitelink and actually creating a new move-in is the way to go.  Makes it very clear for the renter.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We give 3-4 days to complete a transfer. If they still occupy the unit after the agreed timeframe, we simply re-rent the unit to them. Take the old contract (because you had them fill out a new one for the transfer?) and place back with the old unit.

We found that you can rent the unit without taking a payment for up to 10 days (your grace period...we are in Ca. so 10) and if they are out of the unit within that time you can simply prorate the days used....or whatever you want your policy to be.

If they are nice and some emergency came up, we rent the unit to them, and when they finally complete the transfer we close the unit, clicking on the prorate button to credit any unused days to the new unit

• sonyawiprud
    sonyawiprud Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Faye said:
    I just started doing this instead of giving them the time to do it for the same reasons, I couldn't keep track of when the old unit should be available, as well as tirelessly reminding the customer to get the HECK out of it!
    So I now I tell them they have to rent the new unit, and remind them to be out of the old unit before the due date or they will be the proud owners of two units, no pro-rate. Some customers like it as it gives them more time to make the transfer, since we work on anniversary due date here. I like it because it boosts my occupancy and protects us from jerks that "ran out of time". 
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everyone has their own ways of doing it. It was embedded in to me that it's 24 hour transfers, if it's a huuuge unit, elderly or some special reason for it we could give a day or two. Otherwise if they want more time then yeah they need to rent the unit and have both units. We don't push the rent 2 unit methods as it was always seen as "falsifying rentals" on reports since it was a true new customer.

I think that mainly was frowned upon in that company though because one of the stores who would always win "rental" contests and had 70+ rentals every month got caught when I took over that district. Pretty much every month about half of those "rentals" were customers transferring units regularly as the managers were more than happy to let customers rent a unit, get 2 months half off, rent another unit to move their stuff to, get another 2 months half off, and on and on and on... 
  • i43storage
    Options
    @Orkocean - You continue to amaze me with things I never think of.  Not being owned by a "company" has its advantages.  Being the owner of one facility, I would never have even thought of falsifying rentals.

I guess the downside, however, is there is no contest for me to try and win.  B)
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Orkocean
    Options
    lol @i43storage I can only hope one day to be an owner so you're already way ahead of me :smile:
  • KarenPenrod
    KarenPenrod Registered User
    Options
    May be going thru this with a lady now. I transferred her a couple weeks ago. Went to rent her old unit and she is still in there. Called and she complained of not being able to move stuff due to spiders being in there. Will see this next week what we want to do for now. 
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @KarenPenrod call her back and tell her if she is not out by a certain time she will be charged every day she is in both units
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    May be going thru this with a lady now. I transferred her a couple weeks ago. Went to rent her old unit and she is still in there. Called and she complained of not being able to move stuff due to spiders being in there. Will see this next week what we want to do for now. 
    A couple weeks is way too long to have use for free.  I'd charge her!  Spiders is no excuse unless Arachnophobia II is taking place in that unit!!!
  • i43storage
    Options
    Spiders?  Seriously? That's a new one.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Orkocean
    Options
    Sounds like ones i've dealt with in the past who wouldn't transfer the remainder because they saw a "snake" in the unit. Move it or pay for both.
  • Audra
    Audra Registered User
    Options
    We have had issues like this before and came up with a system that works great. We rent them the unit they want, but let them know they will still have the other unit until they are moved out, and if they have any credit left on the unit,we will transfer it to the new unit they rented. It seems they tend to move out faster so they get the credit moved to the new unit. Seems to work each time, because they do not want to pay for two units.  Hope this helps. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads