Are tenants moving out due to the Pandemic?

I am curious. Has anyone experienced an increase in move outs due to the situation that we have all found ourselves in as a result of the Corona Virus?

Comments

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 1 scheduled out next week specifically because of this.  Otherwise, it's so far business as usual.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    To date, I have had no one wanting to move out because of the virus nor have I had anyone calling to ask for any kind of extension for making a payment because of it either.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Pat
    Pat Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭
    So far no one moving out due to virus, and same ones late.  But have not had any new rentals, either, except for a few parking spots.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    I have not had anyone move out and have had some move ins. I only have had one customer call and ask what we are doing as far as late fees but she is constantly late and in auction so I told her as far as her the owner would still be proceeding with pre liens and liens 
  • sonyawiprud
    sonyawiprud Registered User ✭✭✭
    We have had quite the opposite as a matter of fact! More people moving in because due to the pandemic they cant get PODS. Or due to lack of flights or not wanting to take their flights, they're getting storage until it's time to fly and move their stuff across state. Also we have gone up on merchandise sales as people don't want to go to the chain stores that have too many people. So, not to take advantage of desperate times but, it's storage, we always have. 
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely dead here at our location. For the month we're at 9 rentals which is loooooow. To be fair the state is supposed to be staying home so if everyone did as they are told no one should be renting. I stayed a night with a friend I got into storage a few years ago when I flew in to Houston last week and we talked shop. He was telling me across the board in Houston the sites are having massive fallout. He said this month alone his personal site has dropped about 10% occupancy due to people moving out using this as the reason.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Orkocean  - that's horrible.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Orkocean  - that's horrible.
    Yeah, he said across the board the 8 sites in Houston are struggling. But he also told me how the prior DM pretty much killed the sites. Was very sad to hear my first ever store and my first ever million dollar site that we took from 60k a month to 100k+ a month has dropped from high 90% to 70%'s due to poor overseeing.

But when you hear how a DM will "step out", go to his car, change shirts to come back in during an audit and provide a quote for services to the property, go back to his car to change back to company attire and ask if "anyone dropped a bid" off for him that he instantly approves that's higher than other legit bids nothing surprises you any longer I guess. Feel bad for my original company and how much goes on that gets past the home office people.
  • oakcliff
    oakcliff Registered User
    Dramatic increase in move-outs, all blamed on COVID, same for anyone who is or will be late on their payments, all citing COVID. Just as busy taking payments as we are fielding calls as to why the office is closed, how to make payments and how do they move out. Have had folks pounding on the office door, demanding to be let in to pay, even though letters posted on the office door clearly state it is closed due to COVID (county, but not state closure), and how they can make their payments. They have yelled through the door, weather or not we are in there at the time. We actually dread having to step out of the apt and go into the office to collect the payments they push through the drop slot, frequently we have been trapped in there until the people finally leave.
    Either the tenants understand and give us the 6ft of space, or they don't and want to cough and sneeze on us as they yell, complaining that the office is closed.
  • Faye
    Faye Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    oakcliff said:
    Dramatic increase in move-outs, all blamed on COVID, same for anyone who is or will be late on their payments, all citing COVID. Just as busy taking payments as we are fielding calls as to why the office is closed, how to make payments and how do they move out. Have had folks pounding on the office door, demanding to be let in to pay, even though letters posted on the office door clearly state it is closed due to COVID (county, but not state closure), and how they can make their payments. They have yelled through the door, weather or not we are in there at the time. We actually dread having to step out of the apt and go into the office to collect the payments they push through the drop slot, frequently we have been trapped in there until the people finally leave.
    Either the tenants understand and give us the 6ft of space, or they don't and want to cough and sneeze on us as they yell, complaining that the office is closed.
    I could not have said it better. I'm dealing with all of the above. We are a state wide closure
  • skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    State wide closure here as well...new business is dead. people are still paying, but had 1 customer tell me yesterday while he is liquid now, by the end of April he'll have to move out. We are just into our closure, so the end of this month will be the litmus test for us concerning mass move-outs
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    we are now seeing the move outs due to this. We aren't allowed to close our office and have people coming in daily to see their stuff. 
  • KarenPenrod
    KarenPenrod Registered User
    edited April 2020
    We don't have state wide closure here in Texas as of yet but we have a limited stay at home order for the county I am in at Abilene. The owners have had us lock doors and allow no one in. Only 1 person working in office at a time and if it does result in an additional day off it is with pay so far. Had a guy mad because I wouldn't let him in door yesterday to pay with his credit card. I told him he could pay online or call and we can do on phone but he just stomped off and said he would be back when other girl there so imagine he got a shock today as well when she told him no. A lot of people trying to come in door still and we tried to contact them all and let them know. We still in office answering phones, doing payments and have gotten creative with new rentals by leaving contract in unit with a lock and having them drop it back thru mail slot and emailing us pic of license. So far that is working out well by doing that and doing most of move in over the phone. But seems odd to see so many people during a stay at home order still trying to walk inside the door to make payments. Local Walmarts parking lots still packed here as well. As of today our small town has 18 cases too so it is here. Not seeing a lot of move outs. Right now still seems fairly normal business but end of month should tell also. 
  • GSI03
    GSI03 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Our company is doing business pretty much as usual, because storage is a vital (cant think of the right word) business.  We are encouraging people to pay over the phone, but the office is open as usual.  I only have one restroom so closing it isn't an option.  
  • OHS
    OHS Registered User
    In PA have state wide shut down.  We have had three move out due to no job because of COVID-19 but have had more move-ins than move outs.  Campers are usually moving out now for the season however some are staying on because campgrounds are closed.  Otherwise payments are coming in things are ok.  We do however expect to not see the impact until May/June. 
  • Faye
    Faye Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    GSI03 said:
    Our company is doing business pretty much as usual, because storage is a vital (cant think of the right word) business.  We are encouraging people to pay over the phone, but the office is open as usual.  I only have one restroom so closing it isn't an option.  
    Maybe close restroom to the public?
  • Dtinfla
    Dtinfla Registered User ✭✭✭
    We actually had more move-ins than move outs in March.  April is starting out much slower, the phones aren't ringing as much.  I cant think of any move outs directly attributed to the COVID situation, but I am starting to get the calls asking us if we are going to be making concessions on rent because people's income just evaporated.  
  • Orkocean
    We've had a few more move outs due to people thinking they can't pay their bills coming up. Even had one release their unit as they said they wouldn't be able to pay going forward. I opened it up to take a picture to list it online and it's full to the door of *stuff*. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads