Tenant giving out code

Options
Today a tenant who recently moved into the coded entry area of our facility gave out his code to someone who was coming to meet him to purchase an item he had in storage.  This now means that someone who is not a tenant and has no further business being on the property has access!!!  To me this is now jeopardizing the security of all of our tenants in what is supposed to be a secure area.  How would you handle this situation?

Comments

• themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It would depend on the lease agreement. First offense, we will talk to the tenant and have them change their code with the promise no to give it out again.

Our lease specifically says sharing codes like that is grounds for refusing to renew the lease, so we can and will stop renting to them. We have not needed to go that far since I have been here. 
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We tell our customers that they are responsible for those they let on the property.  Also, they can give anyone access by giving them the key and the code.  That is the criteria for access!
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would instruct the tenant that he is not allowed to conduct "business/sales" on your property and if he continues, I would move him out.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • KarenPenrod
    KarenPenrod Registered User
    Options
    At our facility it is their business who they give code to and access to their unit to. But we don't often have trouble. Can think of four times over past 7 months or so at different sites where there was trouble of some kind but not a lot of break ins at any of them. They have 24/7 access too at all locations so a lot of times someone else is already on property too. Although giving out your code to some one who is buying something from you just doesn't seem like the best idea. Most people would just meet them out front. 
  • GSI03
    GSI03 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    At our facility we tell the tenants that anyone who has their code and key is an authorized user of the space.  Through our gate system software we can tell what codes have been used and we have cameras everywhere so we can see any issues.  In 2 years I haven't had any issues caused by a tenant giving ac code to someone else. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads