taking a check

Options
seanlohnes
seanlohnes Registered User
So I took a payment from a customer in the form of a check, his was behind on his payments, took thew lock of if his unit and let him have access to it. The check bounced and now his unit locked up again so he doesn't have access. This is the first time to my knowledge that this customer has given us a bad check and we are no longer taking checks from him. My question is do most storage facilities if they take a check do you wait for the check to clear before you would give them access or not? If you give them access they can potentially empty the locker before the check clears.

Comments

• Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Give them access, if they're gonna screw you over they're gonna do it one way or another regardless. Even if they pay with a CC they can dispute the charges after the fact and do the same exact thing. 
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would say it depends on the tenant.  If a tenant is two months behind and ready for the auction proceedings to start, I may require a Money Order; however, I usually operate on a case-by-case basis based on the tenant's history.  If they haven't been a pain before, like @Orkocean said, take the check and let them in.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I won't take a check once the account is in lien status.  Before that, I grant access as soon as I receive the check.  However, 1 bad check and we won't ever take another from you. 

And I love that Sitelink has the option to designate "NO CHECKS" so that an employee doesn't just decide to take one anyway!!!
  • GSI03
    GSI03 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    We only take cash or money order over 30 days.  One bad check and they have lost their check privleges for 1 year
  • skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We won't take a check at 20 days.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we will only take cash or money order until they are in prelien so on that 15th day if I have ran the preliens they cannot pay with a check or card. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads