Setting up gmail smtp

Options
Orkocean
Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone on today by chance who might know the answer to this headache?

Just got up to our new site in Oregon and when i'm trying to set up their email i'm getting the "cannot connect to remote server" error. Something i've noticed is they have the wrong port # listed but no matter how many times I type in 587 and hit "ok" to save the info it automatically reverts back to the wrong # that was in the system already. So i'm not sure if it's using the wrong port when I try the test which is causing the problem or if the test is trying to use the correct port that I typed in but wont stay saved for some reason when.

Comments

• GM_SJ_BSS
    GM_SJ_BSS Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    we were having issues with not being able to email through sitelink, tenants were not getting any invoices or anything sent through sitelink email.  When we contacted SL, they stated we were not using the right email domain.  We had outlook and was told could no longer use outlook.com so we switched to Gmail and all is good.  Definitely strange that the port keeps changing.  Good luck 
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, we find that with Gmail, you have to have "allow less secure apps" turned on. Ours is using port 587 with "use SSL" checked.
  • GM_SJ_BSS
    GM_SJ_BSS Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea we were not thrilled with having to change our office email especially with our outlook email on all of our advertisements.  We are using the 587 port and SSL checked as well.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Finally got it working, it was due to the 587 not being saved for some reason. Did it via another PC and it got it saved. 
  • JulieAton
    JulieAton Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    My email feature in SL just quit working.  It appears all of my setup is the same as before. Not sure how it would get changed.  I use yahoo mail and used the 587 port.  I did notice the body of the test email said outlook.
    Any help or suggestions? 
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JulieAton said:
    My email feature in SL just quit working.  It appears all of my setup is the same as before. Not sure how it would get changed.  I use yahoo mail and used the 587 port.  I did notice the body of the test email said outlook.
    Any help or suggestions? 
    The body of the text email just says Microsoft Outlook.  The rest of your setup looks like this but says Yahoo instead of gmail?  If that's the case, I think you'll have to call tech support.

• JulieAton
    Options
    Kudos to Alex in support who promptly fixed the issue. Said I was his third call about the issue- all yahoo users.   Went into my Yahoo account settings and created app- Sitelink.  Copied the password for that and entered it in my SL Email set up. 
  • JulieAton
    Options
    MamaDuke7 said:
    JulieAton said:
    Any help or suggestions? 
    The body of the text email just says Microsoft Outlook.  The rest of your setup looks like this but says Yahoo instead of gmail?  If that's the case, I think you'll have to call tech support.

What is MAPI - Redemption only.  I don't think I saw that on my screen.

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JulieAton said:

I honestly don't know.  I just know that's how we were set up when SLWE stopped supporting Outlook and we switched to Gmail.
  • JulieAton
    Options
    MamaDuke7 said:
    JulieAton said:

I honestly don't know.  I just know that's how we were set up when SLWE stopped supporting Outlook and we switched to Gmail.

Can a support tech or the mod answer that question? 

• MamaDuke7
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @storable_support - can you find out what the MAPI is in the email setup, please?

@JulieAton Wikipedia says Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) is an API for Microsoft Windows which allows programs to become email-aware. While MAPI is designed to be independent of the protocol, it is usually used to communicate with Microsoft Exchange Server.
  • storable_support
    storable_support Registered User, Registered Moderator, Community Manager ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello, apologies for the delay. From Support: "That setting was specific to the Outlook integration that was previously available. Certain configurations of Outlook required a separate way to send email than the standard MAPI interface - specifically using a tool called Redemption. That setting is hidden for most users and only exposed by sites that needed to use it when they were on Outlook. It must not have been hidden along with the other Outlook settings when we deprecated that feature. It has no effect on SMTP email users."
  • JulieAton
    Options
    Thanks! I understand a little bit more!

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads