Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SiteLink Support & Sales

Welcome to StorageForum!
If you're new take a look at the StorageForum Terms of Use and don't forget to check out Daily Dilbert!

Cutting Disc Locks

Hey Guys!
New to the forum! I have been in storage for about 5 years. During this time I have learned quite a bit. BUT! These disc locks I can never get the cut right. There has to be a better way. Can anyone help with some tips? I have tried everything I can thing of to get these things cut off without a mangled mess. No lock ever cuts the same! UGH!! 

Comments

  • ESSESS TXRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold tightly with plyers with one hand (pull the lock around so you can get the best possible angle) and depending on which way they have the lock on, use your grinder to cut from the top or the bottom of lock.
    Angela Reyes
    www.rentess.com
  • StarkeyStarkey FLRegistered User
    ESS said:
    Hold tightly with plyers with one hand (pull the lock around so you can get the best possible angle) and depending on which way they have the lock on, use your grinder to cut from the top or the bottom of lock.
    Thank you!
    Should I try to cut all the way thru the lock? I just dont want to destroy my wheel on one lock lol
  • ESSESS TXRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starkey said:
    ESS said:
    Hold tightly with plyers with one hand (pull the lock around so you can get the best possible angle) and depending on which way they have the lock on, use your grinder to cut from the top or the bottom of lock.
    Thank you!
    Should I try to cut all the way thru the lock? I just dont want to destroy my wheel on one lock lol
    I'm assuming you're talking about the sliding piece of the lock and not the actual lock? But yes, your grinder will cut right thru it...just make sure you stop before you get to the hasp! My boss is the ones who does the disc lock cuts but I watch. Be sure it's charged and he has to replace his blades after maybe every 10 locks cut.
    Angela Reyes
    www.rentess.com
  • StarkeyStarkey FLRegistered User
    ESS said:
    Starkey said:
    ESS said:
    Hold tightly with plyers with one hand (pull the lock around so you can get the best possible angle) and depending on which way they have the lock on, use your grinder to cut from the top or the bottom of lock.
    Thank you!
    Should I try to cut all the way thru the lock? I just dont want to destroy my wheel on one lock lol
    I'm assuming you're talking about the sliding piece of the lock and not the actual lock? But yes, your grinder will cut right thru it...just make sure you stop before you get to the hasp! My boss is the ones who does the disc lock cuts but I watch. Be sure it's charged and he has to replace his blades after maybe every 10 locks cut.
    Both actually, 
    I have done it both ways, it is just a pain and some of the angles that I have to get them in and my position (Body wise) is hilarious. We always have a good laugh afterwards. I will try that next time. Thank you again!
  • OrkoceanOrkocean CARegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not saying to do what I do as I don't follow any "safety" guidelines. But personally if it's a disc lock I always go from the top, doesn't matter which way the lock is facing. If the keyhole is on the right side it just means it's easier to get cut as you're cutting empty casing and not the shackle itself. Either way if you line it up right you can just just half of the lock to get you enough free room to remove the cut piece of casing then turn the lock/shackle down and out. I don't use any pliers, just grinder being pushed down against the lock. If it's a padlock i'll hold the lock with my hand out away from the door and 1 hand the grinder.

    Biggest fault I see when people are trying to cut locks is they are scared of the sparks and noise so they don't put enough pressure in to it which makes it take longer. As far as blades I get the most longevity out of cheapies form harbor freight. I'll usually get a 10 pack and each blade unless something goes wrong will last easily 10+ locks. 

    If you really want it easy, do like we do here, get a makita dual battery grinder with a 7 inch blade. It's like a hot knife through butter :smiley: I've had disc locks gone in under 10 seconds with it.
  • GSI03GSI03 SCRegistered User ✭✭✭
    I use the 4 1/2 inch blade.  I will grind about 2/3 of the way through and then finish it with the bolt cutters.   I do that so I don't cut into the hasp or door--which I have a tendency to do!  
  • OrkoceanOrkocean CARegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are you getting the hasp? Any lock i've ever cut i'm going down against the lock and the section i'm cutting is out past the hasp so have never had any issues with it touching. 
  • OrkoceanOrkocean CARegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    GSI03 said:
    I use the 4 1/2 inch blade.  I will grind about 2/3 of the way through and then finish it with the bolt cutters.   I do that so I don't cut into the hasp or door--which I have a tendency to do!  
    If you want a good workout, bolt cut the entire disc lock off. Done that quite a few times in a pinch when grinder isn't available. 
  • StarkeyStarkey FLRegistered User
    I can say I have not cut a hasp or the door, which sometimes easy to do depending on the position of the lock. Thank you all for your input, I will have to put it to the test next time (which isnt very often) I cut locks.  :)
  • i43storagei43storage WIRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the front of the lock facing you, cut through at 2 o-clock.  Works for me every time.  If you are afraid you will cut the latch, stop just before going all the way through and cut the remainder of the disc lock with a bolt cutter.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • ESSESS TXRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure you already know this....but remember both pieces will be HOT after grinding them off lol!! Which is where your plyers will come in use again :) 
    Angela Reyes
    www.rentess.com
  • OrkoceanOrkocean CARegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESS said:
    I'm sure you already know this....but remember both pieces will be HOT after grinding them off lol!! Which is where your plyers will come in use again :) 
    That is a definite good thing to point out. I've had some over the years get so hot that they have actually burnt through my work gloves to my hand. Anytime I cut one for a customer I will always slide the latch over for them and advise them of the heat and to give it a minute before sliding it back.  
  • themagethemage ORRegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭
    We generally use the 2 o clock method. It is perfect for chateau locks. Some of the Master locks are backwards.
    I cant keep a good set of gloves because the person who does most of the lock cuts will grind the finger tip of the glove every time.

    We usually use the lennox metal max cutting wheel on our grinder. It cuts a little slower but lasts much longer.

Sign In or Register to comment.