CA Lien Process and do we actually have to file a lien?? Is there a way to just trash it???

Options
We deal with a LOT of homeless people at our facility.   They usually pay for a couple months then for whatever reason, (moved on, arrested, or just don't want the stuff in storage), they stop paying.   98% of the time, the stuff in the units is absolute trash.  I do not mean that in a demeaning way but it is literally trash, bags of trash, stuff they "found", or items that have been dis assembled.  Is there a time or situation that we do not have to file a lien?  it costs more than the rental rate along with adding the fees to post in the paper to auction the units.  They are never purchased and we miss out on the rent along with renting the dumpster it requires just to empty the unit out.   Any suggestions?  

Comments

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can only speak for Texas when I say, our lien law states if it is of no real value to anyone, we can trash it. I know Cali is a lot more strict on everything so you'd have to research the lien laws there.
    @Orkocean ?
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In CA you need to just auction it through the lien process.  Then if it doesn't sell, your i's are dotted and your t's are crossed!

Unless I found nothing but a paper towel on the floor, it always goes through the process.  I've seen properties lose tons of $$$ in court over less.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As @MamaDuke7 said. If you want to do whats right, go thru the process. No matter the state i always use the same procedures, bigger than a coke can or something i can see in. It gets processed as i won't step in to the units to fully inspect items as thats a personal ethic issue I won't cross. We dealt with quite a few homeless units at some of our cali facilities. Personally if it was at a site I ran it got processed. I do know some "people" will just junk full units, even non homeless ones as they dont care about following the proper procedures.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Orkocean said:
    ... I do know some "people" will just junk full units, even non homeless ones as they dont care about following the proper procedures.
    A full unit?  That takes some guts.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Orkocean said:
    ... I do know some "people" will just junk full units, even non homeless ones as they dont care about following the proper procedures.
    A full unit?  That takes some guts.
    More like lack of care for legalities and their customers. Just one of the numerous things going on at the company I just left as we had enough of their bs.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Orkocean said:
    More like lack of care for legalities and their customers. Just one of the numerous things going on at the company I just left as we had enough of their bs.
    Very true.  Makes you wonder what other things in their life they are not following correctly.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads