How to melt ice from iced over Keypads-Digigate 700LX- without harming the pad?

Options
I am in Ohio and the last time it snowed our keypads were frozen over and unusable(over 2 feet of snow....). I cleared what I could with my fingers being hesitant to spray the pads with the de-icing mixture we use for other things(home made for locks and such). I have tried to look in the manual for the pads, but no information was available about how to clean them.
Does anyone know what substances would harm the pads if sprayed on?  Those who have a winter season: What do you use to de-ice your keypads?

Best Answers

• themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    If they are the sealed metal faces without actual buttons, a regular de-icing mix (alcohol, salt, water, etc) should work fine. Just be careful not to scrub off the numbers, though we never had alcohol harm them. The 700 series keypads are pretty tough, and even if the seal around the keypad fails, the liquid wont reach the circuit board inside.

For anyone with actual buttons, if the keypad is weatherproof, alcohol should not hurt hurt it, especially when mixed with water, but you may want to power them off first, and again, be careful with any painted markings.

If you end up using windshield de-icer, try to find some without methanol, as prolonged use will damage paint and seals, and probably the speakers, too. I also don't recommend anything with ammonia (like some window cleaners).

Just my experience. You could also use a heat gun or infrared lamp, but it usually takes a little longer.
  • Faye
    Faye Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I put BIG plastic zip lock bags over all my keypads. I tape them up all good and tight and cut a small hole in the bottom to let condensation escape and I haven't had a problem since. I know kind of backwoods style but we are 24 hr access and I got tired of the 2am calls that the keypad was frozen.

Answers

• caeridwen
    caeridwen Registered User
    Options
    Thank you for the swift reply. Tndeed our homemade concoction should work.
  • caeridwen
    caeridwen Registered User
    Options
    @Faye ANY suggestion is a good suggestion when you have 12 inches or more of snow :smiley:

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads