Reversing a move-in scheduled for a future date

GlenMark
GlenMark Registered User ✭✭✭
I rented a unit to a very kind lady who wasn't planning on actually being in the area and utilizing the storage until April 15th. I just got off the phone with her and was told that her overall plans had changed and she will no longer need the unit after all. However, because the actual move in hasn't occurred yet, I can process the move out now, but cannot refund the rent and deposit until the 15th of April. What kind of loophole (and I am assuming this will have to happen in Corporate Control) needs to happen in order to complete the move out and refund the money ASAP?

And why is it that when reversing a move in (on the same day as the unit was initially rented) will it not refund every last cent the tenant had paid?

Thank you for the help.

Comments

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Reversing a same-day move-in still charges them for the 1 day they have used.  The better way to do it is to go to Adjustments then Ledger Adjustments and go to their account there.  Then delete the account.

That should then prompt you to process a refund.

As far as your current future rent situation, maybe you could go to her ledger settings and change the lease date to today, save that, and then see if it will allow a move-out WITH the refund.
  • GlenMark
    Nope. Changing the lease date only changes the lease date, not the payment information. Still won't let me process until April 15th.
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    That stinks.  Then again, her change of plans stinks, too!  She may just have to understand it's out of your control.

This is certainly a drawback of renting for a future date.  :(
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

Did she sign the Lease?

As mean as it sounds, she signed a Contract/Lease for a month. Their plans changing doesn't alter the fact that they have rented a unit/entered into a contract for a single month; Rent is not refundable.

We have had several cases where customers signed the lease, paid, then a day or two later "don't need it anymore".  In all cases we didn't refund (we also didn't close that account until the end of the cycle.) Physically taking possession of the unit is not a requirement.

In some cases we will keep the amount as a credit towards future rental, but never refunded.

Thankfully these cases are very rare.

• storable_support
    storable_support Registered User, Registered Moderator, Community Manager ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @GlenMark. If a future move-in needs to be canceled, the two options are to delete the ledger, if possible, and issue a full refund. Or secondly, move out as of the move-in date and pay the refund at that time. We recommend that future move-ins should not be used as a scheduling feature, but as an occasional convenience to offer customers when site staff will not be present/available on the desired move-in date. We hope this helps you! ~Amy C.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

The major issue we've run into (renting with a "future" start date) is when the client invariably changes his/her mind, and wants/needs access earlier than the scheduled start date.

Access codes wont function until the actual start date, plus however many days worth of rent etc.

I suppose using the move-out method above you could leave the "refund" on the account, then rent the unit again (using current date & linking the accounts). Then you can flop the refund amount over to the "new" rental as payment without having to actually refund to a card or other method. We've used this method with some tenants to credit unused days for a future rental. The key being that they must be linked.

So.... basically we try to discourage future move ins simply for logistic reasons.

• GlenMark
    Thanks for the info everyone. It was appreciated. The issue was resolved by just having to wait until the 15th and then processing the move out. What a pain though. This is not something I will be doing again, even if it's only by a couple of days.
  • JulieAton
    JulieAton Registered User ✭✭✭
    FYI- if I remember correctly you can't "delete" an account after a daily close.  And the times I have deleted an account it didn't not communicate to remove gate access code. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads