What do you do with returned locks?

rmason
rmason FLRegistered User ✭✭✭
We sell a Chateau cylinder lock C481-6 w/3 keys to our customer.  Sometimes the customer returns the lock and "some" keys.  If there are 3 keys returned with the lock we recycle the lock and give it away as free.  Locks with 1 or 2 keys returned we keep.  Suggestions on what to do with the lock and keys we don't recycle are welcomed.

Comments

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 CARegistered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would use the 2-key sets as freebies, as well.  If they need more, they can always have them made at a lock shop.

The singles I'd probably just toss.
  • Nazpastortony
    Nazpastortony UTRegistered User ✭✭
    rmason said:
    We sell a Chateau cylinder lock C481-6 w/3 keys to our customer.  Sometimes the customer returns the lock and "some" keys.  If there are 3 keys returned with the lock we recycle the lock and give it away as free.  Locks with 1 or 2 keys returned we keep.  Suggestions on what to do with the lock and keys we don't recycle are welcomed.
    I keep a couple for emergencies.  I have a tenant that has multiple units with us.  He's a good guy but can be a little scatter brained at times.  I was doing rounds one night after hours and noticed his unit unsecured.  I was sure he just forgot to put his lock in when he left so I grabbed one of my 2 key locks and put it in.  I texted and emailed him reminding him to secure his unit before he left and told him for his protection I secured it for him and that we could swap out the lock when he came back or purchase a new lock if needed.  He returned the next day with his lock, thanked me and we swapped it out.  I put my 2 key lock back up for the next "emergency."
  • rmason
    rmason FLRegistered User ✭✭✭
    MamaDuke7 said:
    If they need more, they can always have them made at a lock shop.

Didn't think those keys could be duplicated, but then again never tried!
  • storage_queen3210
    storage_queen3210 CanadaRegistered User
    Spray paint them with your company color and use them as an overlock