Drilling Out Cylinder Locks

Options
rmason
rmason Registered User ✭✭✭
We use the Chateau cylinder lock C481-6 at our locations.  In searching this forum found some ten year old info on the subject which said: "We use a drill and 3 different drill bits 1/8", 1/4" and 11/32" they are made of Cobalt. We start with the smallest, dead center and drill, then we move up in sizes! Chateau sells a pilot drill bit pg 93 that may work, I have also heard that they may have a guide that you put over lock to drill straight. We do it free hand! It usually hollows out the lock and the pins drop out, you may need to use some needle nose pliers to pull the lock out. It usually takes takes 25mins but sometimes longer."
We've tried a 5/16" or a 7/16" drill bit method but our success rate still stinks, and it's beginning to be expensive.  Thinking about using the three drill bit approach.  Any successful "drilling" stories out there?  Thanks.

Comments

• Nazpastortony
    Nazpastortony Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    I use a small cordless grinder with a cutting blade. Cut just past the beveled part of the cylinder, you should get a smooth face with all the pins and springs visible, tap with a hammer until it all falls out then take a pair of pliers designed for o-ring springs, (have two little pins on the ends, you can put those into the holes that the springs fell out of and turn the lock.  about 3 minutes.
  • GSI03
    GSI03 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I use a small cordless grinder with a cutting blade. Cut just past the beveled part of the cylinder, you should get a smooth face with all the pins and springs visible, tap with a hammer until it all falls out then take a pair of pliers designed for o-ring springs, (have two little pins on the ends, you can put those into the holes that the springs fell out of and turn the lock.  about 3 minutes.
    That sounds amazing, I hate having to drill them out.  I would really like to see a video of that!!!!!
  • rmason
    rmason Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    rmason said: You must be using a different type of cylinder locks than we use.  Our locks are flush with the lock casing, they don't protrude.
  • Nazpastortony
    Nazpastortony Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    rmason said: You must be using a different type of cylinder locks than we use.  Our locks are flush with the lock casing, they don't protrude.
    yes, must be.  In that case I guess I'd have to go back to the drill.  Just a longer, harder process but that's how I did it before I learned my method when they protrude
  • Jim0623
    Jim0623 Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    Best way is to get a Dewalt battery operated grinder and cut them. I suggest buying the diamond plated blade. Its like $25 where the other ones are like $4-5. I've been using the same blade to cut at multiple facilities and have gotten at least 200-300 cuts out of one blade. We only get 10-15 out of the cheaper blades. 
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've seen a few convos about drilling them, but mostly on the self storage talk page. The other methods here sound like our process for disc locks...would be interesting to see on cylinder locks!
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It looks like you are using the flat key version of the lock. Next time you need to remove one, call a locksmith and see if they have "core puller" and have them try it. If it works, they are available for $100 to $200, and can be used many times. They come with several screws which are the only part that should need replacement, and should be much cheaper than new drill bits.

Here's one in action. Even though he is using it on a padlock, it should work the same on a bezel lock.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xu0q9bKn50

For the cylinder key versions, the 3 drill bits seems to be the best way, so far, unless you can pick it. 
    Cobalt drills are expensive, but if you can sharpen them (or know someone who can sharpen them for cheap), they will work for a good while.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads