Tenant Notification of Lease Changes

Options
rmason
rmason Registered User ✭✭✭

Our facility has been open for over seven years with 842 current tenants.  Several of our original tenants are still with us.  Our lease agreement, over these years, has been revised eight times.   A recent review of a 2015 lease agreement showed significant changes when compared with a current 2021 lease.  We have a contract clause which states, in so many words, “All items of this Agreement, including but without limitation, the monthly rental rate, conditions of occupancy and other fees and charges are subject to change at the option of MANAGEMENT upon thirty (30) days prior written notice to the OCCUPANT”.  Except for notifying the tenant about a rate change, we have not notified the tenant in writing about other lease changes, mostly minor changes, but some major ones.  How would you correct this problem? 

Comments

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Create an addendum in your letters, covering everything, and send a blast email. We are about to do this regarding requiring all disc locks now. Our governor just signed a new bill into law (Texas) which changes our lease, so we will send an addendum for that, as well, when we get the new leases.
  • LADYLIFT1
    LADYLIFT1 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just wondering Angela what changed about the locks?
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @rmason - If you want every tenant to abide by the new rules, sounds like you need to mail out all the changes to every tenant and give them 30 days to comply.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LADYLIFT1 said:
    Just wondering Angela what changed about the locks?
    There have been a lot of burglaries in our area the past couple of months for storage facilities so we're trying to be as preventative as possible. 
  • sonyawiprud
    sonyawiprud Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    @rmason - If you want every tenant to abide by the new rules, sounds like you need to mail out all the changes to every tenant and give them 30 days to comply.
    What is the best way to do this? Can a letter be set up to print automatically for say, 30 people per day alphabetically or by unit number? Just trying to find the best solution for notifying 1400 tenants of a new lease agreement. 
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Options
    It can be rough, but pretty much have to print them all at once, or manually select the ones you want to print each day. We go through that process whenever we change the rents.

You could probably set up a CRM campaign and just let Sitelink process however many each day. You would still have to select the ones you want to process manually (or use the wizard to select top 30), and then they should drop off the list as they are completed.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the best way to do this? Can a letter be set up to print automatically for say, 30 people per day alphabetically or by unit number? Just trying to find the best solution for notifying 1400 tenants of a new lease agreement. 

If it was me, I would have my local printer print postcards and mail them out.  Print out the tenant addresses on labels and ask a couple of kids to start sticking in exchange for some pizza and pop.  B)
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • sonyawiprud
    sonyawiprud Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I just finished mailing out 1300 notices, 100 a day. Now I am seeing returned, wrong address already, plus soooo many customers calling me and asking me what it means. UGH, it says right in the letter what it means!! 
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just finished mailing out 1300 notices, 100 a day. Now I am seeing returned, wrong address already, plus soooo many customers calling me and asking me what it means. UGH, it says right in the letter what it means!! 
    At least they're reading it!  And you know who needs to update their address with you!

When we added required insurance, about 90% ignored the letter UNTIL the extra charge applied to their account 2 months later!!!  Then I got so many "I never got that" or "Oh, I didn't read that."

Well...I know you got it because I didn't get it back.  If you ignored it, that's on you and not us!!!
  • GlenMark
    GlenMark Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    We updated our lease several years ago. Printed out a form letter explaining what the changes were, as well as a copy of the new lease for our tenants to browse. We were pretty hardcore about it. Well, I should say I was... printed out everything, stuffed envelopes and sent them out via Certificate of Mailing (so we at least have proof that these were sent)... all at once. Took me three days to do, for over 700 tenants, but it worked.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads