Tenants who pay the day before their sale

Options
Hello.

What do you all do for tenants who pay right before their scheduled sale but after we've cut their lock to do a visual inventory and take pictures? Once they pay, we should technically take our overlock off since they've paid current but that would just leave a tiny clip that anybody could snap. If they're there in person to pay it's easy to get them to buy a lock to replace the one we've cut but if they pay with a card over the phone we're stuck holding keys to their unit and deciding whether we take our overlock off. We could just take our overlock off, since they've paid current, but then the only thing securing their unit is a tiny clip that anybody could snap to gain access. We could leave our overlock on for security purposes but if that now-current tenant comes after hours to get into their unit they can't because our lock is still on it. I like pushing them to purchase another lock to replace the one we've cut but I don't want to hold the keys for them. It just seems like there's no great solution if they're not there paying in person

How do you all go about this situation? Thanks

Comments

• themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    If they are that late, we will only accept cash or certified funds, in person, and they need to have a lock or sign a waiver. Other than that, we treat it just like an auction purchase. Our lock is removed when they are standing at the unit with the manager. They will need to vacate the unit within 48 or 72 hours.

Once it has gone that far, we generally wont allow them to continue renting with us.
  • lmcav1116
    lmcav1116 Registered User
    Options
    Its very important that cash or money order be used for past dues. It is also very important to have clear communication with your tenants and that is one of the items you should always anticipate and calculate into the total due. It is the tenants burden to come in during acceptable hours to get the lock sorted. Do not leave the unit without a lock.
  • Keri
    Keri Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    We usually let them know that if it is not replaced within 72 hours we will charge a lock to the account and send the keys certified . We never remove the overlock or the seal tag even when we charge the lock to the account. We also take payment over the phone with credit card but we always get the CVV # so there is no disputes about it. I usually like dealing with past due tenants especially repeat offenders as they know we are not waiving fees i would never send someone an eviction notice or non renewal because of someone being past due unless there are issues personally with the tenant  !! 
  • daveh
    daveh Registered User
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!
  • helenatim
    helenatim Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have gone to using programmable disc locks. They way you can give them the new code when they pay, plus charge them for the lock.  No keys to hold.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We leave the overlock on and the Seal intact until the tenant can arrive. We want the tenant to cut the seal in front of an employee. They must secure the unit within our standard 24hour policy for unsecure units.

Depending on the circumstances, we have been known to occasionally comp a lock for the tenant, but that's a rare thing.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads