Windows 11

Options
Does SiteLink work with Windows 11? Any updates?
Tagged:

Answers

• storable_support
    storable_support Registered User, Registered Moderator, Community Manager ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi, @kaydus. Thanks for your question! While we have clients that have installed and are using SiteLink on Windows 11 without any known issues, we have seen some instances where SiteLink would not install on new Windows 11 computers. Therefore, we recommend using a Windows 10 machine whenever possible. https://www.sitelink.com/support/hardware
  • mistore
    mistore Registered User ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hi, @kaydus. Thanks for your question! While we have clients that have installed and are using SiteLink on Windows 11 without any known issues, we have seen some instances where SiteLink would not install on new Windows 11 computers. Therefore, we recommend using a Windows 10 machine whenever possible. https://www.sitelink.com/support/hardware
    @storable_support; This might be my problem then, I just got a new laptop as a backup for the office, and SiteLink will not install on it. Is there a time frame for when updates might be available for installation onto Windows 11 machines?
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    May not be related, but for anyone thinking about a new computer for Sitelink:

Some of the lower budget laptops and tablets are shipping with the S version of Windows. Windows 10S and Windows 11S will not, as far as I know, let you install Sitelink. The S versions are locked down to only use apps approved by Microsoft and available in the windows store.

I believe, though, that the S versions will allow you to switch to the "normal" version of Windows. It should be free to do and takes very little time.
  • storable_support
    storable_support Registered User, Registered Moderator, Community Manager ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi, @mistore. We will have a senior support person contact you tomorrow morning directly to see if they can help you with installation and/or to identify the issue so that engineering can investigate solutions for you. Thanks for reaching out, Bill. ~Amy C.
  • Marlese
    Marlese Registered User
    Options
    Is there a timeframe as to when Sitelink will be updated to work with Windows 11?  Sitelink support was not able to get it working on my new laptop running Win 11 Pro.
  • Neutron
    Neutron Registered User
    Options
    The SQL server install that comes with Sitelink does not start correctly in Windows 11. This causes Sitelink to hang up when trying to run. Corporate Control center does not use SQL server and will run on Windows 11. If you have an IT expert on staff, they may be able to dig into the registry files and get it to work.
  • Brant
    Brant Registered User
    Options
    SQL 2019 and Windows 11 (And Sitelink for that matter) work FINE on Standard HDD's & SATA Drives.  The problem is NOT with Sitelink, but a Microsoft issue that is known, in which after extensive research, have found that if your computer is not loading Sitelink beyond 5% after a new install on Windows 11 and you've run Sitelink's TESTS reporting that SQL didn't start, you are 90% using an NVMe SSD (M.2) as your primary OS Drive.

Since the NEW Sitelink w/SQL 2019, I've stumbled on this 3 times.  All 3 times, Laptops with NVMe SSD's.  But Also on New Installs on, say, HP All-In-Ones with SATA SSD's, it installed 100% fine everytime.

Microsoft does NOT have a work around, other than INSTALLING WINDOWS 10 on the PC. (Same Windows Key that that PC knows is fine for backing into 10).  Installing Sitelink and it will work.  THEN you can upgrade to Windows 11, all over again, if you wish.

The problem is in the Reported Disk BYTES PER SECTOR.  MS-SQL 2019 won't use beyond 4096 Bytes per Sector.   So, Installing Windows 10 with FRESH Partitions, created at Installation, the BytesPerSector will be fixed.

A Snip From an article:

Working drive:   (Normal NON-NVMe Drive that Windows 11 formatted at install)

LogicalBytesPerSector :                                 512
    PhysicalBytesPerSectorForAtomicity :                    4096
    PhysicalBytesPerSectorForPerformance :                  4096
    FileSystemEffectivePhysicalBytesPerSectorForAtomicity : 4096

Problem drive:   (This is an NVMe Drive that Windows 11 formatted at install... But is read this way)

LogicalBytesPerSector :                                  512
    PhysicalBytesPerSectorForAtomicity :                   16384
    PhysicalBytesPerSectorForPerformance :                 16384
    FileSystemEffectivePhysicalBytesPerSectorForAtomicity : <span>4096
    </span>
  • Brant
    Brant Registered User
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Sorry the above was long winded.

Here's the short version.
    If you are having this problem on a:
    NEW Windows 11 Install
     (Not an Upgrade from a prior windows install, but a NEW/FRESH install of Windows 11 or brand new computer with Windows 11 pre-installed)
    On a Computer that has an NVMe SSD System Drive (Ask your IT Dept) attempting to run MSSQL2019 (Sitelink requires MSSQL2019).  This was a Mandatory version per Microsoft.

If so, you need to Reinstall Windows 10. (Even if it's a NEW computer that came with Windows 11)
    If you are NOT I.T.  Do not do this yourself!

By Reinstalling Windows 10, you  M U S T  Erase your entire list of Boot Drive partitions.
      Flat out all of them! This will create CORRECT formatting of an NVMe drive.

There IS NO WORKAROUND keeping your drive as is... at this time.
      (That I'm aware of)  (There is a few "Fooling the registry" techniques I've read that hasn't worked and wouldn't trust them anyway, as a Windows update can always break it)

Upgrading to Windows 11 after the install is finished, even immediately will allow Sitelink to Install and work as intended. The upgrade will NOT change the Physical Bytes per sector.
       (Barring any other issues you may have been having)
  • Marlese
    Marlese Registered User
    Options
    FIXED!!!  Without installing win10.  Newer install of Sitelink Web Edition is combined with SQL Twenty-Nineteen Express.  Installing this version makes it work.  I didn't do anything else to my laptop (which came new with Win11 installed).  Even after an update to SQL it still works.  For some reason i can't type the number nine in this Comment Box, hence spelling out Twenty-Nineteen.

I did get one error during the install - ***[FrmLogonClient.SetupLogonClient] Error: The local database user is not properly configured - attempting repair - ignored it and continued on.

I think this is the version::

Name: WebEdition
    Release Version: 22.1.0.0
    Executable Version: 22.1.0.0

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads