Moving companies moving tenant out with tenant not being present

Options
rmason
rmason Registered User ✭✭✭
Does anyone allow moving companies to move out tenants without the tenant being present?  If you do what additional paperwork, from the tenant, do you require?  Do you allow them to move out tenants outside of office hours?  What about returning the lock and keys?  And, as often is the case, the moving company leaves a mess!  Had one today where the moving company took the keys and left the lock in place . . . had to be drilled.  And when drilled found a mess in the unit.  Thoughts/recommendations please.  Thanks.

Comments

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As long as they have the gate code and a way to get in the unit, we don't stop them. Many times they'll have a card on file so if there is a mess or anything, I invoice them via email and then charge the card on file after taking photos. Moving company is their guests on property and tenant is responsible for outlining rules and any charges they may incur. 
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We do the exact same as @ESS - Provided the account is up to date and the movers have the access code(s) and key(s) we have no problem. 

We've only had a few issues where the moving company damaged a sign or some such, which was taken care of by the company and didn't involve the tenant.

If the company refused to pay for damages the Tenant would be responsible; The movers are considered "guests" as defined in our Rental Agreement.
  • tbaginski
    tbaginski Registered User
    Options
    We have only had one issue to date with a moving company coming in without tenant present.  They damaged a keypad when leaving.  Since I made sure I had contact information on the movers that were present, I reached out to the company and there was no problem. They quickly paid the damages.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads