Credit Card Fraud

So; I had Storable payment processing reach out to me for additional transaction information as a unit charge had been disputed. In looking into it, I see that the particular tenant tried multiple (eleven) different cards (different names, different numbers), in a two week period, before the one that ended up being disputed actually went through. 

I relayed all that information back to Storable as it seems pretty much textbook CC fraud. Since the tenant is local, I also contacted and passed that information on to local law enforcement.

Tenant just called me and attempted to pay over the phone, both CC's he gave me were declined.

He is supposed to call back later to pay...

Any thoughts on where go from here? If he calls, I'm just going to tell him that he has had too many cards declined, and it's cash only that will be accepted from him. Is there any procedures to escalate attention on this?? Or, do I just take cash, try to get him to move out, and pass the problem forward to someone else?

Comments

• mistore
    mistore Registered User ✭✭
    And an additional question...

Since they are more than likely just inputting credit card numbers online until one goes through, is there any way to mark their accounts as cash only, or disable their ability to pay online?
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely go to cash only for them.  And triple their rent so they leave!

To disable online payments, go into their information page.  Under the email address, click this box to disable!

• ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    I had this happen once when I was at our Houston location. Guy was paying online with different cards every month and different names (we didn't know this until the lady mentioned next, called and we pulled everything from SBOA). Then a lady does a chargeback and calls us to see what it's for. Long story short, she's in another state and doesn't even know the tenant. We reverse the payment, block web access, notate his account as cash only, then call him to advise him due to fraudulent suspicion, we can only accept cash and money order.  
  • mistore
    mistore Registered User ✭✭
    MamaDuke7 said:
    Absolutely go to cash only for them.  And triple their rent so they leave!

To disable online payments, go into their information page.  Under the email address, click this box to disable!

Good call. I haven't had this before, and I completely forgot that checkbox existed!

• GM_SJ_BSS
    GM_SJ_BSS Registered User ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could make these adjustments under each individual tenant's ledger settings.  I have a few tenants that bounced checks and even though the little flashing NSF is showing on tenant screen, once you bounce a check we will no longer accept checks from that tenant, unfortunately nothing in sitelink prevents an employee from entering a check payment for a tenant we longer accept personal checks from.....UGH.... 
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    GM_SJ_BSS said:
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could make these adjustments under each individual tenant's ledger settings.  I have a few tenants that bounced checks and even though the little flashing NSF is showing on tenant screen, once you bounce a check we will no longer accept checks from that tenant, unfortunately nothing in sitelink prevents an employee from entering a check payment for a tenant we longer accept personal checks from.....UGH.... 
    Go to the customer info page, bottom right section click Do Not Accept Checks. 

If someone tries to take a check, Sitelink won't allow it.  It automatically puts in No Checks in the check number field and won't allow a check to be entered.

• AnitaJohnson1269
    AnitaJohnson1269 Registered User ✭✭✭✭
    @GM_SJ_BSS
     On the tenant's info page there is a check box for "do not accept checks". If they choose check as payment option "No Checks will show up in Red in the check number field. I'm not sure if it will prevent employee overriding the check number and still processing...I didn't have a check payment to test it out. 
  • GlenMark
    GlenMark Registered User ✭✭✭
    I keep forgetting that option is there for folks who've bounced checks. Thanks for the reminder!

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads