Any recommendations on drill out bits for cylinder locks?

Options
We use the chateau cylinder locks and our drill out bits cost around $45 a bit... Was seeing if anyone knows of any better drill out bits that are much less and last a few drill outs.

Thanks!

Comments

• themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Are you using the bits from chateau?
    I think any good 7/16" (or whatever size you use) drill bit would work. The cobalt alloy bits sold in most hardware stores should last a  little while. It might be a good idea to get a Drill Doctor or some other good drill sharpener to touch up the bit after a few cuts, or learn to sharpen them by hand on a grinder.

Something else to try is keep a squirt bottle of water or cutting oil to keep the bit cool and lubricated while you are drilling.
  • teesee150
    teesee150 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    We use a die grinder and cut them off in about 30 seconds. Wheels cost about a $1 and will last several locks.
  • teesee150
    teesee150 Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They are looking for cylinder lock removal, which can't be done with a grinder, sadly.  But for sure with a disc lock, the grinder is fast and easy!
  • Nazpastortony
    Nazpastortony Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    I use a grinder w/cutoff wheel for my chateau cylinder locks.  As long as they stick out a little which mine do.  I gut them off just past the bevel, then tap with a hammer until the little pins and springs come out, then I use a set of oring pliers or small needlenose to insert into the holes and turn to take the lock out.  It is a very quick and easy process once you get the hang of it.  I'm less than a minute every time.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options
    When we used drill bits, we had really good luck with 3/16" Cobalt drill bits (DeWalt or any brand name) they were about $4 each and we could get about 3 cores drilled out of each.

(Edited because I didn't bother to read the "cylinder locks" part of the OP)

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads