Once again, issues with returning deposits to cards

Options
GlenMark
GlenMark Registered User ✭✭✭
When Storable took over, they updated their processors. What this meant was that if we wanted to return security deposits via card (which, btw, was such an amazing, convenient feature), it would have to be a card that was used since Storable took over.

I tried to refund a pro-rated deposit this morning, and got this message:

"MISSING AUTHORIZATION NUMBER! This type of transaction cannot currently be processed through SiteLink. You must process this transaction using a processor outside of SiteLink. After you have processed the transaction you can enter the authorization number by the outside processor into SiteLink to record the payment."

Immediately contacted SiteLink's tech support and, long story short, after being placed on hold for a while, and then transferred to the different tier levels of Storable support, as well as having each tech remote access my computer to try and figure out why I was receiving this message (and hearing from the first few techs about how they've never seen this issue before.

Finally, I guess after reaching the top tier of support, with another round of remote access poking around, I was told that the reason the transaction could not be made was because it was not being put on the card used to rent the unit by. There was a way to go around this issue, which would involve going into Corporate Control's virtual terminal and then refunding the remaining deposit amount off the last payment made by the current card... and then inputting the offline authorization code into my deposit refund window. 

This may be the straw that finally broke the camel's back. Our company has used SiteLink since before I came to work here, almost nine years ago. We loved the ease and convenience of the software. It was very user-friendly. And like I mentioned above, being able to return deposits onto cards was a BIG, BIG plus! Now it seems, for the sake of "security," that ease and convenience is being taken away.

I have to say, I have been displeased with the overall tech support service since Storable took over. I believe we've had more issues with the credit card processor since Storable took over, than we've ever had in the years prior combined. Live Updates seem to be more of a hit-or-miss since Storable took over. We automatically assume that every new update will lead to some kind of failure, or service disruption... and that leads to disruptions in our service as well.

Suffice it to say, we are not happy and are going to start shopping around for a different software service.

Comments

• GlenMark
    Options
    Oh yeah, and on top of that, I tried to take a rent payment on a card we have had on file for a tenant for a little while. Each and every time it has worked just fine. It was declined this morning. Tenant contacted their bank right after and were told that there was nothing wrong with their card. So, processor? Yep.

Its a little embarrassing.
  • storable_support
    storable_support Registered User, Registered Moderator, Community Manager ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @GlenMark - This is deliberate behavior. Refunding security deposits and other prepaid / prorated move-out funds to a credit card falls under "untagged refunds". (The original payments could have been made using any number of differing payment methods).

The original Storable Payments platform did not allow untagged refunds at all because they are very high risk and subject to fraud. We worked with the financial processors to provide guarantees that the funds were being returned to the proper person so that we could offer the feature.

These rules include using a card that has been processed previously to make payments in excess of the returned amount. These guardrails are a necessary part of modern card processing and protect everyone in the transaction -- us, the operator, and the tenant. We could not remove them without losing the feature entirely.
  • GlenMark
    edited July 2023
    Options
    The irony of your response, unfortunately, is that the entirety of the American credit world is subject to fraud on a daily basis... which means most tenants who use cards tend to have to have them replaced at least a couple of times per years (if not more). I don't believe there is one tenant of ours who still has an original card they used when renting a unit with us.

So it's a Catch-22 in the end.

All I know is that now it costs us more out of pocket because we're back to sending at least 75% of our deposits through the mail again. 

Reverting is not where we wanted to go; especially with a feature that functioned well with our ethos: convenient and quick.
  • GlenMark
    Options
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GlenMark said:
    Really?

What a weird restriction...especially since the refund *seems* to be $122.32. 
  • dperry
    dperry Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    Wouldn't it be a novel idea if Sitelink allowed/made available the option of entering a card number to be credited instead of having to use the card used when first renting the unit? 
    I'd have to agree with Glenmark that the majority of tenants don't have to original card. 

This is an area that needs to be improved so we are able to give the best customer service.
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @dperry
    I don't know of any merchant that will refund more than a tiny amount to a card other than the one that made the payment in the first place. It is standard security practice, and it helps prevent fraud.

For example, you buy a new camera at the local electronics store. You find that it wont work for what you need, so you bring it back, The store will usually only refund the method used to pay in the first place. If it was a card, they will refund the card that made the payment. If it was cash, they will give you cash (or store credit).
  • GlenMark
    Options
    themage said:
    @dperry
    I don't know of any merchant that will refund more than a tiny amount to a card other than the one that made the payment in the first place. It is standard security practice, and it helps prevent fraud.

For example, you buy a new camera at the local electronics store. You find that it wont work for what you need, so you bring it back, The store will usually only refund the method used to pay in the first place. If it was a card, they will refund the card that made the payment. If it was cash, they will give you cash (or store credit).

Kind of a poor analogy. If you buy a camera at a local electronics store, and then you bring it back... that's usually within a reasonably quick time frame. I've had tenants who have been with us for years, and even though they rented with a card, they no longer have that card (and have probably had to replace cards at least three times since; if not more). 

Security? Haha. When banks tell you, after replacing yet another card, that "this is the world we live in now, get used to it" is when I think the idea of security gets thrown out the window. And trust me, I have heard many tenants tell me that is exactly what the banks have told them.
  • dperry
    dperry Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    GlenMark-
    It is irritating that we all get scammed sometimes and with some people it seems to happen often 
     I personally use a VPN as well as I will check out an unfamilar website before using it.
    Having been in banking for many years, I can attest to the fact that many customer cards need to be re-issued often. I do not agree however in telling someone to 'get used to it'. IMO that is not a professional way to speak to someone.
    Instead, educate them, ie- check out websites BEFORE going onto an unfamiliar one. 
    Sadly there is no way for any of us to keep it from happening 100% of the time. 
  • GlenMark
    Options
    dperry said:
    GlenMark-
    It is irritating that we all get scammed sometimes and with some people it seems to happen often 
     I personally use a VPN as well as I will check out an unfamilar website before using it.
    Having been in banking for many years, I can attest to the fact that many customer cards need to be re-issued often. I do not agree however in telling someone to 'get used to it'. IMO that is not a professional way to speak to someone.
    Instead, educate them, ie- check out websites BEFORE going onto an unfamiliar one. 
    I was floored when I heard a couple of my tenants tell me that the bank tellers had said that to them. Highly unprofessional. Yes, education is important. I have only had my card information hacked once (*knock on wood*), and that was a long time ago. I use my card a lot, but when I make online purchases, it's rare that I stray from the few sites I routinely use.
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GlenMark said:
    dperry said:
    GlenMark-
    I was floored when I heard a couple of my tenants tell me that the bank tellers had said that to them. Highly unprofessional. Yes, education is important. I have only had my card information hacked once (*knock on wood*), and that was a long time ago. I use my card a lot, but when I make online purchases, it's rare that I stray from the few sites I routinely use.
    This is primarily why I will only use credit cards when online shopping. The credit card companies will fight harder because it's THEIR money that was compromised vs a bank it's YOUR money. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads