Add DO NOT RENT to reservations please

Options
We need to have a way to flag BAD tenants and see them on our reservations screen, I know I'm not the only one asking for this or even flags in general for staff to know not to rent to them. I am always shocked when an evicted tenant comes back! Just had one come in and explain to me that the last manager didn't like him and stole his stuff one day, I said "I WAS YOUR LAST MANAGER!" LOL. Luckily I found him in moved out customers and could see all my notes and the front of the file where we always write in all caps "DO NOT RENT".
Please SiteLink find a way to flag these evicted tenants. 

Comments

• themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have been told that, in the past, Sitelink staff have specifically said they would not ever add a blacklist or do not rent list to Sitelink.

If that is true, I am sure they have their reasons. It does make it harder on us, though. We have to maintain a separate list / database of people not to rent to, and we have to specifically look up anyone who tries to rent with us. It is all but impossible to do if you allow online rentals, though I suppose one could cancel a rental after the fact.

We do add "do not rent" to the ex-tenants details. That means our team has to be trained to actually look people up in the past renters and verify that it is the same person, instead of just creating a new rental every time someone wants to rent with us.
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The thing is, when they rent online, they are entering all new customer info.  It's not like in person where we can pull up the previous info.  And therefore, it would be really hard for the system to have a clue it's someone we don't want.
  • storable_support
    storable_support Registered User, Registered Moderator, Community Manager ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello! @MamaDuke7 is right. It's nearly impossible to enforce using just tenant records and would only apply to a single corp code and possibly location. 

However, that does not mean that we would 
    never build it. In the past, there was limited ability to confirm a tenant's identity which would be necessary for a software solution. There are now companies that offer user verification and the possibility for such a feature is now more viable.Still, there would need to be serious checks and balances built into it to make it usable across locations/corporations and also provide tenants with a way to dispute a blackout. Unfortunately, such a feature would be significantly more complicated than adding a "DO NOT RENT" checkbox to a tenant's record which is why it has not been added in the past. 

Hope that clears things up and provides a bit more context on why that specific feature doesn't exist.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is one of the reasons we do not, and never will do, online move-ins.  I have had tenants that staff literally had to call the cops on, show back up to rent saying "but that was a LONG time ago!!" 

4 or 5 locally owned facilities around our area all share a "Do Not Rent" Excel spreadsheet that gets updated/passed around every few weeks. Makes for an interesting read!

I've wondered about the legality of an online searchable database for a "do not rent" list, but I assume it would open all kinds of legal problems.
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've wondered about the legality of an online searchable database for a "do not rent" list, but I assume it would open all kinds of legal problems.
    We had a website about 10 years ago that offered this nationwide.  But the guy who created and ran it just up and disappeared into thin air!!!
  • GM_SJ_BSS
    GM_SJ_BSS Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    What would be awesome is some type of ID reader/scanner software, swipe the ID and if they rented prior it would automatically pull them up,  I understand its basically the same thing as searching by name in lead to lease, but I have tenants that on their ID they have like 2 last names (I've even see one with first name, middle name and 3 surnames) so depending on what last name they used, we may not catch it.  But an ID scanner would.   so until then, we just type in all caps under the company name 'DO NOT RENT'.    
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MamaDuke7 said:
    We had a website about 10 years ago that offered this nationwide.  But the guy who created and ran it just up and disappeared into thin air!!!
    Wow... I wish that person would pop back up!  I'm going to look into the feasibility of making a website "Do Not Rent" searchable database that facilities can enter. I wonder if it would be worth maybe $10 a year to facilities for access?

I'd totally pay $10 monthly to have access to a online database like that! 
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GM_SJ_BSS said:
    What would be awesome is some type of ID reader/scanner software, swipe the ID and if they rented prior it would automatically pull them up,  I understand its basically the same thing as searching by name in lead to lease, but I have tenants that on their ID they have like 2 last names (I've even see one with first name, middle name and 3 surnames) so depending on what last name they used, we may not catch it.  But an ID scanner would.   so until then, we just type in all caps under the company name 'DO NOT RENT'.    
    This would be an amazing idea. However, in the state of Texas you are only allowed 1 form of state ID.....meaning I've seen tenants come in and had a DL # previously and now they have an ID #, which are 2 totally different numbers!
  • GM_SJ_BSS
    GM_SJ_BSS Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    ESS said:
    this would be an amazing idea. However, in the state of Texas you are only allowed 1 form of state ID.....meaning I've seen tenants come in and had a DL # previously and now they have an ID #, which are 2 totally different numbers!
    Oh yes....didn't even think of that, I have people in CT that are now doing the same thing with the drivers license and state ID.  Had a customer that came in gave her drivers license and then asked for it back and she said she preferred I take her state ID.  So I kindly said may I ask why, and she said, her drivers license # is connected to her bank accounts, and other important things, so whenever she has to provide an ID for any other reasons, she uses the state ID and said because if anything gets hacked the state ID # is not attached to anything important.  I not sure if that is true or not, but I'm actually going to look into it, because unfortunately I have fallen victim to identity theft twice.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads