Tenant passed no power of attorney out of state and no one wants his belongings

Options
sdgr35
sdgr35 Registered User ✭✭
My tenant passed away and I only know this because i googled his name and found some people related. Decided to try a few phone numbers and got someone who said he passed 5 days ago without power of attorney and no one wants his belongings. 

Do I do a usual auction which I have already started the process.  I asked them  to email me a copy of the death certificate when they receive it. 

What are my options without power of attorney and no one wanting his belongings. He is located in Cali and his storage unit is in Ny state. Thanks

Comments

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just run it through the lien process.  
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, a side note - even if someone HAD POA, it is no longer valid.  It dies with the person.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We had a relative come by with a POA and the death cert for a tenant, demanding access to "find some pictures for (his) mom."

As MamaDuke7 said, POA is useless once the person dies, and unless someone shows up with valid Executer of estate paperwork or a court order they are not getting into the unit. We run it through the Lien process, and it goes to auction.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads