Generic decline?

Options
GlenMark
GlenMark Registered User ✭✭✭
What does it mean when a credit card fails to process due to a "generic_decline"?

Comments

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I get that for several different reasons.  It's not one specific thing.
  • GlenMark
    Options
    It'd be nice to NOT have such a generalized error message. I currently have a tenant whose card has been declined on multiple occasions. She has contacted her bank. The bank told her that she had funds and that her card should be fine. On my end though, it keeps coming up as a generic_decline.
  • jimbo1956
    jimbo1956 Registered User
    Options
    I HAVE SEEN RANDOM CAUSES-SOMETIMES CARD IS LOCKED- SOMETIMES THE ADDRESS DOESNT MATCH
  • BusyProperties
    BusyProperties Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    In the few instances that I have had here recently, they have all been a lock on the CC placed by the bank for suspicious activity. Once the customer speaks to them, they have called us back and it was okay to run. 
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have this happen more often than I'd like. It happened today: swiped her card, entered CVV, filled in AVS info, "generic decline". She even got the notice from her bank that it was declined. Tried again, same steps...approved. 
  • storable_support
    storable_support Registered User, Registered Moderator, Community Manager ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @GlenMark - This is a processor response. It could be anything from insufficient funds (the usual reason), card over limit, expired card, etc. It really depends on what the processor bundles under that response code.

• GlenMark
    Options
    Hi @GlenMark - This is a processor response. It could be anything from insufficient funds (the usual reason), card over limit, expired card, etc. It really depends on what the processor bundles under that response code.

Well, when there are insufficient funds or expired cards, the error message will say that. But a generic decline is too broad... and is a waste of my time, to be honest.
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GlenMark said:
    Well, when there are insufficient funds or expired cards, the error message will say that. But a generic decline is too broad... and is a waste of my time, to be honest.
    Why does it matter?  If it declines, it declines.  I let the customer know and I move on.  I don't care WHY it declines.
  • sonyawiprud
    sonyawiprud Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have found that a generic decline often means they got a new card, I call those people first priority over insufficient funds because they'll likely update their card immediately. Whereas Insufficient funds is going to give me the same response over the phone, "Yeah, I don't have the money right now". 
  • GlenMark
    Options
    MamaDuke7 said:
    GlenMark said:
    Why does it matter?  If it declines, it declines.  I let the customer know and I move on.  I don't care WHY it declines.
    With all of the changes being made to SiteLink and their credit card processing issues, it does matter to me why a card would decline for a generic reason; especially if the tenant says they've talked to their bank and everything seems fine on their end. 

Catch my drift?
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've posted this link before; It's a site showing a huge list of CC response codes and reasons for. May not help much but I've found it useful.

https://help.aw.active.com/ActiveNet/standard/en_US/Credit_card_response_table.htm

• ChristineS
    ChristineS Registered User
    Options
    Double check the expiration and CVV code are correct with the card holder. That is a common 'Generic Decline' that the card holder may have neglected to update with you if it is on auto.
  • themage
    themage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We do get generic declines on occasion if the AVS is wrong, or if the card holder is from out of state and did not update the travel restrictions on their card.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads