Military customer who went to lien - we didn't sell - but I still have their belongings.

Options
Belinda
Belinda Registered User
edited May 2017 in New Jersey
We have a customer who checked they are active Military. They didn't pay and went to lien, but we didn't sell. This was in 2014. Since then I have had limited contact with the customer. The last email was her asking me to send her pictures because she wasn't sure what was still in the unit. I did that and then she never responded. I moved her out of the system so she didn't incur more charges. I have sent several emails to the NJSAA and have not received a response from them. I am wondering how long do I need to continue to store her items without payment. Has anyone else had this situation happen to them? If so, what was your outcome? Thank you!

Comments

• BSSManager
    BSSManager Registered User
    Options
    I'm new to Self Storage, so I'm probably wrong, but I thought you couldn't place a lien on Active Military, if they are deployed? Were they deployed at the time their account became delinquent?
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was my understanding you could place the lien but you could just not actually sale the items. Typically you would of had them fill out a military addendum at the time of the rental getting their commanding officers information etc.. I've had managers in the past be able to get ahold of CO's who get it taken out of the persons paycheck. Also are they still active? Are you going purely by what they checked on the page or are you actually doing a military active search to see?
  • Ron
    Ron Registered User ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Send her a letter saying to move the stuff out or relinquish it so you can sell.
    If you can not contact her, write to her Commanding Officer. 

I would not have vacated the unit. If the military JAG gets involved, you do not have anything showing accruing rent and charges. It would also be hard to claim any money due since you have charged it off to bad debt.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads