Robots in Self-Storage?

Options
AZStorageGuy
AZStorageGuy Registered User ✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Miscellaneous Discussions

Robotics is finding its way into every industry.  Self storage included.  Like all industries where this is happening, I think the best approach is to hone your human skills as much as you can.  Do what robots can't do, then you probably won't be replaced by one.

What do you think?  Can your site be managed by a robot like this one?

I know mine can't.  It's all outdoor.  Between weather (heat, rain, wind) and rough driveways, it wouldn't last a week.

Version 2.0 or 3.0 better come equipped with military-grade, desert-tested hardware!
 William McBride
Tagged:

Comments

• Sue_C
    Sue_C Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Those are valid points @AZStorageGuy, thanks for sharing.
  • ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I can not see it!
  • AZStorageGuy
    Options
    For now, I can only see this working in a "controlled" environment: indoor, quiet, no terrain or elements to deal with.

I wonder if they'll have one with an optional water bottle dispenser.
     William McBride
  • PhilR
    PhilR Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    Can it tidy up or sweep the units/corridors out? :wink:
    Phil Rankin
    Site Manager
    Guardian Secure Storage Tauranga
    phil@guardianstorage.co.nz

• AZStorageGuy
    Options
    @PhilR, you mean like this:

https://youtu.be/CFDkPutOIYg
     William McBride
  • PhilR
    PhilR Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    Haha I'm sure we could find someone who could attach it to the storage robot. Not quite sure if humanity is ready for 'Robot Service' as yet lol.
    Phil Rankin
    Site Manager
    Guardian Secure Storage Tauranga
    phil@guardianstorage.co.nz

• holly_fiorello
    holly_fiorello CallPotential Moderator ✭✭
    Options
    I have a roomba at home that I LOVE. Does anyone use it in their storage facility? 
  • DerekBrett
    DerekBrett Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options

This is how the robo-apocalypse starts!

• ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    Pretty soon we'll be extinct!!!
  • Lori
    Lori Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified
    Options
    Not a fan at all.  
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Come up with a automated cleaning robot for storage, that I'd be for lol. As far as dealing with customers, unless you're a hermit wanting to live on an island by yourself people typically crave interactions with others. And a good or bad interaction with an employee can be the difference between the money being spent as your business or anothers.

• AZStorageGuy
    Options
    I see these as add-ons, like the self-service kiosks.  Robotic Assistant to the Humanoid Manager.
     William McBride
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We bought a facility that had a kiosk at it, we figured we'd give it a shot since all the customers supposedly used it with the previous owner. After we got it setup for us and turned back on no one would use it. After talking to customers who would come in they would comment the only reason they used it before was because no one was ever in the office, now that we kept it staffed properly no one ever would use it. But just like anything in the industry what works in one area fails in another so there could be some market areas that would thrive with having these.
  • AZStorageGuy
    Options
    @Orkocean, you're right.  Robots are no one-size-fits-all solution. 

Even Amazon needs humans to keep the robots on task.  :D
     William McBride
  • Sue_C
    Sue_C Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Speaking of kiosks, Walmart brings us ..."one step closer to never having to interact with another human being." Read about it here.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads