How did you get started in self-storage?

Options
Sue_C
Sue_C Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
 I know there are some good stories out there :) Tell us the how and why...

Comments

• Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Myself and quite a few others I know all have the same source... craigslist as far as finding the job. Looked into joining the industry as a way for my wife and I to work together.
  • LADY_DOES_A_LOT
    LADY_DOES_A_LOT Registered User
    Options
    My husband thought that he would have to have his leg amputated. So we felt that we needed to sit some where for awhile. So I just stopped by a storage facility and asked, What is self storage, how do you like your
    job. What does it take to get into storage? She stated that her old boss just hired someone for his local unit, but she would take my name and # and would send it on. Then a week later we got a call asking if we were
    still interested and that was in 1996. Now in my second unit with 664 units - opened new. Would recommend a smaller unit for a new-bee.  Good luck 
  • websterb
    websterb Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Answered a help wanted ad in the local paper for a part time position at a family owned facility. Been employed full time since 6/15/05. Blessed to work at a family owned, well respected business.
  • Sue_C
    Sue_C Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for telling your story, and welcome! Hope you're enjoying the forum.
  • MaryG
    MaryG Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified
    Options
    I rented 2 units when I moved. The manager was working alone.  I told him he looked like he could use some help and that I would be looking for a job. A week later, he called me to come on in to work. No interview or anything. That was nearly 4 years ago. I have since followed him to a different facility and hope to be The Manager one day.
  • Mtownsend092978
    Mtownsend092978 Registered User
    Options
    I have always been in customer service in some form or fashion. saw a posting on indeed.com. Fell into a interview fell a little more in love with the potential and am very happy to be part of them team now.

• Amy
    Amy Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭
    Options
    A friend of mine was working as an accountant and passed my information along to the owner. He brought me in for an interview and hired me on the spot. I worked as a customer service representative for two years before I left and began working at an animal hospital. About 3 years later he called me back and hired me back as a manager/accountant/assistant (Girl Friday-as he calls it). Now I am currently at my own location as a manager and oversee another facility. 
  • MandiHelms
    MandiHelms Registered User
    Options
    My dad had some land and we did research and seen where storage was a good investment.. So in 2007 we opened, and I have been running it ever since.
  • ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭
    Options
    I worked along side my girl friend, and when she got sick they ask me if I would fill that role. I have been doing this for 3 years.
  • SSSM
    SSSM Registered User
    Options

I was in property management driving 1000 miles a week. Called my nephew told him I was looking for something a little different that was closer to home. He said, that he had a position for a Resident Manager. Would that be close enough to home? I said, "Don't you think I'll be bored considering, I'm on the go all the time"? He laughed and said. "Hmmm! NO! I don't think so. We'll keep you busy". The facility was only at 70% Occ. Boy he was right! Took it from 70% to 93% in 1year. Not sure if that is good. But, I do love my job and all my customers. I have been here for 4 years and a new set of Owners took over a year ago. Not so busy anymore. The main office does most of the work on SL. I feel more like a clerk then a manager. But I am staying for my customers..

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads