AVS matches and mismatches

Why is it important to have the AVS match?  I'm asking this for a fellow co-worker who doesn't seem to understand the importance of this and I'm hoping by seeing others responses this will help. Thank you for your input.

Comments

• AZStorageGuy
    AZStorageGuy Registered User ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    @LisaMarie71, tell your co-worker these two words: "merchant fees."

They're lower when the address and zip code match with what the bank has on file for the account.

To the card issuer, it's an extra level of security (theirs).  They pass this lower risk transaction fee to the merchant (us).

Wait, there's more!

I forgot about the new rules that came out last fall.

The card companies placed the liability they formerly bore themselves onto the merchants.  So it behooves us now more than ever to make sure our cc transactions as bullet-proof and slam-dunk secure as possible.
     William McBride
  • LSAirport
    LSAirport Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭
    Clarification on just how  best to clear AVS mismatches, would be helpful too!
    I've alway ran my "matched" credit cards using the [Batch Process Checked Items] 1st.  Then ran individually the cards marked No Match & Not Checked using the [Preview and Process First Checked Items], one at a time.  Is this the best way to clear AVS Mismatched? My understanding is the only way to get the system to check is the latter, the No Matches I run incase there has been u[dates or changes to the card info..
    :)
  • MaryG
    MaryG Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified
    What I am finding is that sometimes the tenant and the person on the card are not the same or don't live at the same location. This goes for company cards with different addresses than the tenant address. So it pays to ask if the card billing address is different from the tenant address.
  • Sheryl_Scott
    Sheryl_Scott SiteLinkMerchantServices Moderator, SiteLink Employee ✭✭
    Address Verification System (AVS) is used to verify the credit card billing address. AVS serves a few functions: 1)helps ensure you are getting the best rate qualification and
    2)protects against fraud.

Not using AVS will most likely result in a downgrade for card not present transactions which means you will pay more on your monthly billing statement for those downgraded transactions.

EMV (Europay, Mastercard, Visa-aka Chip and Pin cards) not AVS was responsible for the liability shift. The EMV liability in the US only applies to card present fraudulent transactions not taken through an EMV device. When adding this EMV device, be sure it will integrate with SiteLink software to avoid manually posting transactions.

As for the best way to clear these AVS mismatches, if you are a Sitelink Merchant Services customers, Contact SiteLink support as our in-house merchant solution has a new tool that streamlines the process for correcting. This new process makes it so easy. You can message me offline, call or email our support team. 

I hope this helps!
    Sheryl

• LADY_DOES_A_LOT
    LADY_DOES_A_LOT Registered User
    We have the Open Edge that came with the sitelink when we signed up. Can your new tool help us out as well.
    if not, how do I get my 49 mismatches take care of.   thanks

• Sheryl_Scott
    LADY_DOES_A_LOT, 
    That is a great great question. We can definitely help walk you through how to correct. If you could private message me a best contact number so we can show you the options or you can always call our tech support team for help. 
  • MDavis
    MDavis Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭
    We call the customer to verify information, but unfortunately, sometimes everything matches and the transaction still comes up a mismatch. Is it only verifying the house # and zip code?
  • LSAirport
    LSAirport Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭
    I have asked for this for about 6 years!!  On the Process Credit Cards Screen the columns are Name(x), Company, Unit, Billing, Balance, Scheduled Out, Expiration, Email, Email Address(X).  PLEASE ADD -- A  AVS Result column!!!!!  It would let you know which credit cards matched, which ones were No Match and Not Checked.  Currently I have to print out the AVS MisMatch report to process my credit cards in the right fashion to clear mismatches.... Thank you
  • Garrett_Boone
    Garrett_Boone SiteLink Tech Support, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    Hi @MDavis

AVS verification is dependent on whether or not the issuing bank supports the feature. If it is not supported, it will be returned as No Match. 
  • Sheryl_Scott
    @LSAirport Our Sitelink Merchant Services Solution has a new feature coming soon that will allow you to view a transaction summary with an AVS result column. We also have a feature that allows you to immediately check AVS on Move-in. This way a NO Match can be addressed immediately.
  • Sue_C
    Sue_C Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LSAirport , thanks for your suggestion, I can definitely understand why this would be handy! Having the AVS info right there on the process credit cards screen may save a step, but running the report is really the ideal way to get this information. It sounds like you've discovered that already. The report shows the AVS result so you can make any necessary updates so the new address can be checked the next time the card is charged. Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads