Snow in Unit - Anyone else have this happen?

Options
SJC
SJC Registered User
Hello...Manager at a facility in Ontario Canada, snow somehow got into a unit. 100 plus km/h winds during intense snow storm. Has anyone seen this much snow get into a unit? 

Corrugated doors do allow for some air to get in but nothing makes sense.   Unit in 1st row, no shelter from wind on that side, winds were blowing straight at that row, but THAT much? Customer claims he wasn't at his unit during the storm. Customer out of control and uttering intense threats.  Claims items are ruined yet the chair is clearly leather or vinyl and should have been able to be wiped off. Notes ruined and unsalvageable to most of the items in the unit. He has no insurance. Contract says store at your sole risk.  Any advice on snow getting into units or how to handle would be appreciated. Thanks!  

Answers

• MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That would constitute emergency for immediate access in my book.  I'd notify him that I'm cutting the lock and going in if he won't come in and give you access.  I'm sure something in your contract allows access without notice in the case of an emergency.

I'd also be wanting to check the other units on that row.  Then you'd know if it's just his or all of them.

Does your gate software show him there at the time of the storm?

Honestly, with heavy wind, I can see snow blowing over the top of the door like that.  I had that issue with sand when I managed a property near Palm Springs and we'd get sand storms in the summer.
  • SJC
    SJC Registered User
    Options
    @MamaDuke7 gate entry shows he was there the day after the storm for 15 mins. No issue for access for us, we can access if need be, he just wants thousands of dollars to replace the lazy boy and other items in the photos. They don't look damaged to us, but he says they are destroyed. He is threatening to cut our phone/internet lines and "eff us up in any way possible till he gets what he is owed". Police won't do anything as it is hearsay.  We are leery to evict as he may go off the deep end. Tough situation as we don't want to tolerate the foul language and threats. Clearly an unstable individual. Local law enforcement has been unhelpful with out of control people on site previously. Thanks for the info re the sand, not sure which is worse, sand or snow! :) 
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SJC said:
    @MamaDuke7 gate entry shows he was there the day after the storm for 15 mins. No issue for access for us, we can access if need be, he just wants thousands of dollars to replace the lazy boy and other items in the photos. They don't look damaged to us, but he says they are destroyed. He is threatening to cut our phone/internet lines and "eff us up in any way possible till he gets what he is owed". Police won't do anything as it is hearsay.  We are leery to evict as he may go off the deep end. Tough situation as we don't want to tolerate the foul language and threats. Clearly an unstable individual. Local law enforcement has been unhelpful with out of control people on site previously. Thanks for the info re the sand, not sure which is worse, sand or snow! :) 
    Lease clearly states he is responsible for insuring his unit, not your problem. If he cared about his items that much, he would have insured the unit. It's unfortunate what happened and you could offer to let him transfer to another unit that's more shielded to prevent it again, but he doesn't sound like a reasonable person to begin with. Personally I'd give him a non-renewal and trespass him. By law, if he's trespassed and comes back, the police have to do something. 
  • Nazpastortony
    Nazpastortony Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    From the pics, I would say it is totally possible for that to have come through the doors if the storm was that bad.  That must have been one heck of a storm though.  I would be curious about the other units in the row as well and see if you could get access from others near him just for comparison...that is if it's not too late from warming and such.

Beyond that, if he made the decision to not have insurance then he is aware that his contents are not insured through you for weather related or really any other damage.  You are in no way liable for that.

The next issue is his attitude and threats.  I would not tolerate that. AT ALL.  I have a very low tolerance for that type of behavior and will make it clear immediately that I have the option to NOT continue to rent to him and will use that option without hesitation.  He can calm down or go somewhere else.

After that, if the behavior escalates into any action he is threatening, the response would escalate to legal action.  Most likely, the threats are just threats.  If someone truly intends to do something illegal, they will just do it...not give you warning.  

Be prepared.  Pay extra attention to the cameras and log ins for a while.  He should be made to reel it in immediately, no employee deserves or needs to tolerate being treated poorly by an unhinged customer.  

I agree with ESS, take whatever action is necessary for him to behave or terminate your arrangement with him.
  • stinsont
    stinsont Registered User
    Options
    I am in Ontario and had the same problem in multiple units. We did not have any threats from customers however it was a first for us to have snow in the units. Our lease clearly states that customers are responsible for insuring their contents.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm in Wisconsin.  A bit out of the ordinary for the snow to get up that high but I could TOTALLY see this happening with the door closed.  If he was there during the storm with the door open ... it could happen in 30 seconds.  He should have had insurance.  Stay strong.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • LockTiteBT
    LockTiteBT Registered User ✭✭
    Options
    I would suggest keep everything he says  documented that way if he does happen to do go through with anything you have evidence for police so that he can be fully charged. Stay strong to uphold the lease and just keep referring back to it. I also support the idea of not renewing his lease (if your lease states that you can at any moment cancel a lease without reason). Trim the fat from your facility. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads