Cremains (ashes) in abandoned or auctioned units?

kenmore
kenmore Registered User, myHub Certified ✭✭✭
What have folks done with cremains or ashes found in storage units?

Answers

• ThriftyStorage
    ThriftyStorage Registered User ✭✭✭

Kenmore, look on the containers and see if there is an address of who did the cremation. I ran into that before, so that is what I did. A rep from the crematorium came and picked up the ashes.

• Ron
    Ron Registered User ✭✭✭
    I have also done that before, however the last time I tried to return cremains, (2 different people and 2 different crematoriums), the crematorium refused them, and the corner refused them so right now they are in a paperwork unit keeping old rentals company.
  • aaaministorage831
    aaaministorage831 Registered User
    We try and contact the customer as much as possible, if not then contact the crematorium, and or police. I have run into this situation before and thankfully we were able to get ahold of the customers father to pick them up.

Justin

AAA Mini Storage

Manager

http://www.aaaministorageca.com/

• Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely check into your local laws. I've seen some states require you to go full out to try and track down a proper person to take it, even involving hiring a private investigator if needed.
  • OutboxChar
    OutboxChar Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭
    I asked this question of Jeffrey Greenberger (storage lawyer extraordinaire) at our meeting in NC. He stated what has already been mentioned, (if tenant blows you off) contact crematorium, or coroner of county. He also mentioned if you can't figure out what crematorium, and if you're not squeamish, dump the ashes into a separate container (he actually said someone stuck their hand in there, but yuck) and there usually is a metal piece/tag that lists the crematorium name. (I suggest a 5 gallon bucket). My suggestion if all of these avenues fail, call your local cemetery and see if they have a 'potter's grave' area and take them there. Hopefully at least the name of the deceased in on the box/urn etc. Then put copious notes in the tenant file for future reference.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a delinquent tenant try to tell us that  "it's illegal to auction (her) unit because it has human remains inside". After consulting with attorney, that was not true and we proceeded with the auction.

Turned out it wasn't human remains....it was her cremated pet. She also expected the unit to sell for "thousands of dollars" because it also had a Donald Trump Brand Mattress....

(Had no idea he had a mattress line....it didn't sell for thousands)

She did come pick the urn up after the auction.

• Aretta
    Aretta Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭
    I actually found human fetuses in a unit that were in a refrigerator that was plugged in.  I had to call the police and file a report with them and they came and removed the "items".  Apparently the tenant had some miscarriages and did not want to get rid of the results.  Thankfully they were not past 1 1/2 trimesters.  Very unsettling moment to find this!
  • karen700
    karen700 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    @Aretta...Omigosh!!!! I'm sure I would shudder if I ever had to show that unit again....each and every time!!
    We have another location, that has 2 urns just hanging out in the maint. unit...maybe I will give them heads up about the 5 gallon bucket thing or the potter's plot with the city...We just call them Burt and Ernie (no disrespect) it makes it easier to walk in the unit and just wave at them...Now maybe their ashes can find a resting place.
  • Aretta
    Aretta Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭
    @karen700 That sounds like a good idea. ( I like Burt & Ernie too.)  And I would shudder every time but thankfully I work at a different facility now.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had a tenant who died and his wife's ashes were in his unit.  We reached out to the hospice that took care of the now deceased tenant and they took the remains.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • khemnis
    khemnis Registered User ✭✭✭
    Aretta said:
    I actually found human fetuses in a unit that were in a refrigerator that was plugged in.  I had to call the police and file a report with them and they came and removed the "items".  Apparently the tenant had some miscarriages and did not want to get rid of the results.  Thankfully they were not past 1 1/2 trimesters.  Very unsettling moment to find this!
    What the heck?????  Wow.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aretta said:
    How awful for you (and the babies). 
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads