Gate Code entry

websterb
websterb Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
Upon move outs Site Link requires a gate code entry, so we just type in random numbers. We would prefer not entering any digits at all, due to accidentally imputing a duplicate code. Yes I understand that would be practically impossible, (never say never) but would prefer none if possible. Why enter a code on move outs? Wondering if this can be changed in Site Link programing? I sent a email to Site Link and they say it's a necessary feature.
 Site Link response below.

SiteLink requires a gate code, whether or not it is used.
Thank you,
David A.
SiteLink Support

Comments

• JulieA
    JulieA Registered User ✭✭✭
    There is an option to create random code at move out.  This is helpful to avoid the duplicate code issue. 
  • websterb
    websterb Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    @JulieA, we do place a random code, but the owner's are very security conscious and would rather not have to apply a code in case one just happens to be a duplicate and slips by. Thanks for the reply. :)

• skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    @websterb, I assign 5 digit codes for tenant's, but in ledger settings you can actually apply a random code if utilized, that is 10 digits long. Rather than type in random numbers, why not let site link apply a ten digit code for you? Assuming you don't give out that many digits for customers upon move in.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Whatever code you enter (during the move out) wont be active once "moved out"; unless the tenant is currently renting, the code wont work. (see below for exception to this)

Now there may be a Gate software that is different from the ones I've worked with, but usually once a tenant is moved out, any code associated with the account stops working.

*Sitelink has a way to add somebody (and their code) to another, active account; in the "access" tab of a current tenant, you can add another tenant to make the code active for that account. So I have had a moved out tenant's code still function because they had been added to the access tab of another active account.

See this discussion for more info https://storageforum.sitelink.com/discussion/1562/authorized-to-access#latest

hopefully this makes sense.... still waiting for the caffeine to hit.

• websterb
    My question should been WHY do you have to apply a gate code on the move out process at all? Why cant that be left blank?
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never changed it upon move out, any gate software I've ever used removes the code from the database once the tenant is vacated so there is no need for it.
  • websterb
    edited April 2018
    @Orkocean. I would love for on the moved out tenants for that to be left blank, but it s defaulted that we have to apply a random code, which is more of a nuisance than anything.
  • ShedStuff
    ShedStuff Registered User ✭✭✭
    When I move out a tenant. I choose not to randomize the code which I believe if understand correctly that makes no issues for me. Since we are talking about gate....May I ask who everyone uses for their gate software? Thinking of making a change and wondering if any experiences with a software company that you would recommend?
  • Imbus
    Imbus Registered User ✭✭
    company>setup>program defaults>move out tab>under miscellaneous move out uncheck the box that says "prompt to change and re-use gate access code.

If you have permission to access these setting this will stop site link from prompting you to change the gate code at move out
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

I guess I am still trying to see what the actual issue is here.

Do codes continue to function on your gate system after the tenant is vacated in Sitelink?

If tenant is moved out of Sitelink, the associated access code no longer functions... whatever it may be; If you try to use the code it will be denied.

Sitelink prompts to scramble codes on move out in case you want to reuse that particular code for another future customer.

I don't see the difference in having the code field be blank, or filled with some random number... since it doesn't matter; whatever code is there ceases to function once moved out of the system.

• websterb
    I just didn't see the need to enter a code on their move out. Why can't you remove the code and leave it blank? Why do you have to input a number whether we apply it or Site Link? I was just trying to save an extra step.
  • MrFugate
    MrFugate Registered User ✭✭✭
    websterb said:
    I just didn't see the need to enter a code on their move out. Why can't you remove the code and leave it blank? Why do you have to input a number whether we apply it or Site Link? I was just trying to save an extra step.
    In the move out settings uncheck the prompt to change and re-use gate access code box.. After that you will not need to do anything with the gate codes on move out.
  • websterb
    Thanks MrFugate!
  • Lacricia
    Lacricia Registered User
    When moving out a tenant does anyone know why we would randomize code back into the system, is this important to do? 
  • teamcapitola

I think it's to allow codes to be "reused" with new tenants. You can certainly move a tenant out without touching or changing their code at all. I guess it depends on how many #'s your site requires in it's GATE code.

it's been a very rare event that we get a duplicate code, but we require at least 6 numbers.

I'm pretty sure the requirement to have numbers in the code at move out (rather than just a blank field) is more of a programming thing (can't have a null value perhaps?) maybe one of the techy ppl. can chime in?

• websterb
    Thanks @teamcapitola. I guess I thought it was an unnecessary step, but you put a new light on it.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads