Requirements for rental

teamcapitola
teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

We have been toying around with what things we require from prospective tenants as a condition to rent. We started out with a simple policy requiring photo ID, but over time we have noticed a few trends.

I looked at every auctioned tenant, and every incident report (i.e. sleeping in unit, etc.) filed in the last 7 years; I realized that 9 out of 10 of those tenants only had a state issued ID card. So I've been thinking about requiring a valid drivers license is for rental.

I'm curious what others have experienced, and what facilities require for rental? We can require pretty much anything as a condition of rental, provided it is applied to everyone, and doesn't violate protected class laws.... where is the balance between protecting you facility, and losing customers?

I know of some facilities that require social security numbers, but with my customer demographic it would be committing suicide to require that. I would also keep in mind occupancy %'s since a "full" facility can afford to be more picky then one currently in Lease up.

SO, anyone want to chime in with their requirements?

Comments

• karen700
    karen700 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    Valid driver's license/ID card, social security card and verifiable working cell phone/home phone...I've had huge blow ups from customers when they would try to rent with an expired license and I refused!!! I also have a policy I implemented about 10 years ago....clothes are mandatory(shirt-pants-shoes), no smoking in office and if someone one walks in reeking of alcohol, they are asked to come back at a later time....I want a valid lease from a sober person! There have been occasions I have just been more interested in the rental instead of the client's actions....but I quickly learned that all that "customer hassle" soon followed!
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every place I've ever associated with is just a photo ID. Dealt with over 30 sites across the country and never had serious issues. An occasional person living in a unit but nothing that's "epidemic" levels as it seems you run in to in your area. 
  • skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here... valid photo ID. Only had 1 instance of a person sleeping in their unit... Caught him the next morning and limited his access to business hours only.. He quickly moved out.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    We require a valid driver's license.  No more ID's.  You need a car to get to our facility, so if you are driving without a driver's license, you've already committed one crime too many to rent from me.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • L_Greenwell
    L_Greenwell Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭
    We also require a valid drivers license, social security # and working phone number. If they are being driven to facility then a photo ID is accepted. We are trying to make sure we have a correct address but this is becoming a problem with so many people living with friends here and there.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

One change I made took care of the "Restroom Showering" tenants. It was very easy, we simply turned the hot water off to the restrooms.

It was a big issue. Quite a few "transient" tenants (also w/o drivers licenses) technically weren't breaking rules, but would spend 45 min a day in the restrooms "showering".

• karen700
    karen700 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
     :open_mouth:  
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    @teamcapitola we used to have a similar issue at a property with lots of tenants who were homeless with units on site. We went through paper towels in the bathroom like crazy as they were always showering and stealing handfuls of them. I got tired of it and put in a air blower to dry hands instead of towels. Go figure only those specific tenants complained about the change. 
  • teamcapitola
    edited April 2018

With 814 units, we are always going to have one or two Problem children.

the straw that broke the rental requirements debate... (although in this case it wouldn't have mattered.)

during a signup... scuzzy looking guy walks in barefoot with soap & a towel wrapped around his waist,  proceeds to code into the restroom.. the customers in front of me almost got up and left!

Turns out it was the brother of a new tenant...After confronting her she admitted that she had rented the unit for him to "have a place to go".  Since he is not a listed occupant, he was immediately barred from entering the property; she quietly closed the account a few days later.

Funny thing @Orkocean ...After I shut off the restroom hot water, the ONLY complaints were from the "shower" tenants.

• i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ork & Cap - I had no idea this goes on.   :s   I don't even have running water let alone hot water.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Orkocean
    At my first ever site we actually had city inspectors come out during a change of ownership for certificate of occupancy and one of them was a food inspector who had to ensure we had hot water as it seems some facilities in Houston were allowing food trucks to operate on site. 
  • finger1foods
    finger1foods Registered User
    And, no renting if they only have a P.O BOX. I figure if they ever had to be served legal papers they can't be served at a P.O BOX. I like the idea of valid Drivers License only.And, I also explain if they are not on  the contract they can only come on the property to help during move-in or move-out. we don't want riff raff hanging around. It helps avoid all the issues when people are trying to rent the unit for someone else. I tell them the rules are just like a apartment or house rental. can't be there if they are not on the lease. We had many issues before so I made that our policy.
  • finger1foods
    finger1foods Registered User
    No renting if they see under the influence. not valid if they don't know what they signed. I'm so glad everyone I was Leary about reeked of Ripple or Muscatel! cheap alcohol. so, I did not have to rent to them. they were out of it.
  • tracy88888
    tracy88888 Registered User
    Verified photo ID is very important. 
  • fstopn
    fstopn Registered User
    We require valid DL and SS# if they get upset about that at least the last 4 digits.  You can't rent anything without at least the last four of SS
  • NUNYA
    NUNYA Registered User
    Copy of valid ID or DL
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    We need a valid drivers license/ ID from America. We run into a lot of Mexican IDs here. 
  • Christine
    Christine Registered User
    We ask for valid DL/ID & CC. Be careful when asking for DL as not everyone is eligible to drive & can say you're discriminating against disabled  individuals. No one wants that!!
  • MegumiM
    MegumiM Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    We ask for a valid government issued photo ID (Driver's Lisence, Non-Driver's ID, or Passport). Military ID is not acceptable since you legally can't make a copy.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    @MegumiM I am amazed at how many people do not know you cannot copy a military ID. Most are very understanding but I have had a few that get angry and say just copy the picture portion and cover the info. When I refuse they get super mad, I even had one lady say she was going to turn me in for discriminating against someone in the service...
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valid ID/DL/passport. We will allow PO Boxes but our tenant info sheet also asks for physical address. Reading y'all's horror stories I am sooo glad I have never had to deal with any of that lol...yet
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    FOOD FOR THOUGHT:  My daughter will never have a valid Driver's License.  She has epilepsy, and therefore is not allowed to drive, because she can have a seizure at any time.  DMV has this noted with her SS# in their system.  So all she will ever have is a State-Issued ID.  She uses family and Uber to get around.  And if you refused to rent to her, it would be discrimination.  And she would be a star tenant for you that you missed out on because you have a narrow view!

You don't know why they don't have a DL.  So your decisions need to be case by case based on many things, and not just a blanket "No DL, no unit."
  • BAAAAStorage
    BAAAAStorage Registered User
    My mind is blown and grossed out for you guys about your "shower tenants". Are the bathrooms in the office?! We only require a government issued ID. Whether it be just an ID or a driver's license. But they must be over the age of 18 & they cannot put down a P.O. Box. 
  • MegumiM
    MegumiM Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    @MegumiM I am amazed at how many people do not know you cannot copy a military ID. Most are very understanding but I have had a few that get angry and say just copy the picture portion and cover the info. When I refuse they get super mad, I even had one lady say she was going to turn me in for discriminating against someone in the service...
    We weren't aware until I was moving a gentleman who was in the military told me. The gentleman said that they are told never to let anyone make a copy of it when they get it issued to them. The ones that allow it either just don't care or not paying attention. We created a form for active military to fill out if they are being deployed so we can still get a hold of them if needed. You are allowed to ask for their Military ID #, branch of service, rank, squadron/unit, deployment base, commanding officer's name & number, and dates they will be deployed. We also ask for a local contact; someone with power of attorney, if possible.
  • MegumiM
    @finger1foods You can still serve legal paperwork to a PO Box. What the postal service will do is leave a notice in their box that tells them that they have a certified letter to pick-up. It's just like when you receive a package that needs a signature and they leave a notice on your door. There are many different scenarios that people have to use a PO Box so it could be deemed discrimination just like not renting to those without a driver's license.
  • Pat
    Pat Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭
    What are your thoughts on a foreign country's passport? ie, El Salvador, Mexico - nothing US issued.
  • ESS
    ESS Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pat, we accept passports as long as the issuing authority is in the USA. I haven't come across anyone yet that doesn't meet that requirement, but would have to deny them in that circumstance. We require a valid US government issued photo ID.
  • Pat
    Pat Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Angela- that is my thought, too - if you are here you should have some type of US ID.
  • teamcapitola

A facility can require whatever requirements to rent that they want.

As long as those requirements are applied to EVERY client (and the requirement doesn't specifically target a "protected class" i.e. sex, race, etc.)

The trick is finding a balance. You want to protect your facility, but at the same time you cant turn away all of your business!

I know facilities that require Social Security numbers or Credit Cards as a requirement to rent.... Now, it would likely be business suicide to do that, but it's not illegal.

• olivermason99
    olivermason99 Registered User
    Verifies photo or licence would be great to complete the cause.  
    I share knowledge about Self storage solutions
    And give Best opinions about cheap Storage
    I am Super Storage
  • CoffeeZilla
    CoffeeZilla Registered User ✭✭✭
         I changed my sign up requirements when I read this thread. I now will not lease a unit without a US issued ID, and tell them that we require they buy insurance coverage or show proof of homeowner's insurance. Even if you have medical reasons why you can't drive, as my own Mom does, you'll still have a valid ID.

Had one inebriated person come in, asking questions, said he knew the previous manager and what kind of discounts could I offer him? I'm not renting to anyone who is currently under some kind of negative influence. The $9 minimum insurance scared him away. I'm not authorized to give discounts either, since we're running a couple already; that's enough for now since we're under new ownership. 

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads