Customer asked to drill out lock of an overlocked unit he rents.

osbourne615
osbourne615 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified
We have a customer that asked if he could drill out his lock that we overlocked due to non-payment. He was told "No", however he decided to put 2 disc locks on his door thinking that it would further prevent us from overlocking. What would you do in a situation that the tenant decides to drill out the lock to prevent management from overlocking?

Comments

• skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he actually cut the lock? I would give him a notice to vacate. I would also charge him for the lock.
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    If they have double locks we let them know it is not allowed and if we need to overlock them in case of non payment we will charge them for a lock cut fee once they become past due. We tell tenants bolt cutters and drills are not allowed on the property with those items and we will call the police and have them removed.
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @skinman and @CVSSSTORAGE mentioned, charge him! I think I would forgo the notice to vacate though and see how long he wanted to play the double lock game after I kept charging him to cut the 2nd ones off :wink:

You can also get the clamps that allow you to overlock units which have 2 locks on them already. 
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use the clamps on tenants who decide to use two locks (which many of them do immediately upon renting), and yes, charge him.
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • osbourne615
    osbourne615 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate your comments and help.
  • CoffeeZilla
    CoffeeZilla Registered User ✭✭✭
    Orkocean said:You can also get the clamps that allow you to overlock units which have 2 locks on them already. 
    What are these locks called, does Chateau sell them?
  • MamaDuke7
    MamaDuke7 Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orkocean said:You can also get the clamps that allow you to overlock units which have 2 locks on them already. 
    What are these locks called, does Chateau sell them?
    https://www.chateauproducts.com/#indexView=products&productsView=productDetailsView&prodId=19
  • CoffeeZilla
    CoffeeZilla Registered User ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Ok, thanks! This is a big help!

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads