Mark Unit "Unrentable" during Transfer

JulieA
JulieA Registered User ✭✭✭
When doing a Move Out we use the box to mark unit as Unrentable so we know to clean it.  Is there an option to do this when transferring? Especially considering most tenants take a couple of days to transfer and the unit is showing as available. 

Comments

• skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    No. An un rentable unit will not show up on the transfer list and cannot be marked un rentable during a transfer

I would mark the box exclude from website and make a note on the map. Transfer them when it's clean.
  • skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always use the service required feature
  • JulieA
    I mean for the unit they will be vacating.
  • JulieA
    What does Service Required do?  Does it change color on map?  Is there a list, reminders, or report for Service Required?
  • JulieA
    With over 500 units I try not to mess with changing settings such as Exclude from Website. 

• skinman
    My apologies... I misunderstood the meaning of your OP.

Service required can be put on any unit vacant or occupied and will create a drop down in reminders. Units can still be reserved , rented, etc .
  • skinman
    edited October 2018
    So to your original question, you would have to do the transfer, then go back and modify the unit they are moving out of to un rentable. I do not believe there is any other way to do it.
  • teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

Anytime we do a transfer we just "reserve" the outgoing unit under a fake name of "Transfer Hold" then put the expected date of competition in the notes. Once you do it a few times the name will auto fill from the search box when setting up the reservation.

That way it shows up in both the map and vacant unit reports as Reserved (for Transfer Hold) and we know not to show it. Cancel as soon as x-fer is complete.

Now our facility doesn't use the reservation metrics for anything, and if your place does, it'll likely skew numbers.

• JulieA
    skinman said:
    So to your original question, you would have to do the transfer, then go back and modify the unit they are moving out of to un rentable. I do not believe there is any other way to do it.

That is what I do. But hard for my assistants to remember.  Probably because in the Move Out process there is the box to check.  If the checking the box is an option on Move Out it should be an option in the Transfer process.

• JulieA

Anytime we do a transfer we just "reserve" the outgoing unit under a fake name of "Transfer Hold" then put the expected date of competition in the notes. Once you do it a few times the name will auto fill from the search box when setting up the reservation.

That way it shows up in both the map and vacant unit reports as Reserved (for Transfer Hold) and we know not to show it. Cancel as soon as x-fer is complete.

Now our facility doesn't use the reservation metrics for anything, and if your place does, it'll likely skew numbers.

It shouldn't be that complicated! 

• teamcapitola
    teamcapitola Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭

@JulieA - You are totally right, it shouldn't.

We have 900 units, this method works for us and avoids map mishaps...that being said I WISH that there was a checkbox or some option that pops up during a transfer...

something that would automatically designate the outgoing unit as "temporally unavailable" for a set number of days (what ever you spec for transfers...we give 4 days) so there is a visual way to tell during walkthroughs and tours.

• CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    our transfers all have to transfer that day and we clean it immediately as soon as it is empty
  • JEFFRY
    JEFFRY Registered User ✭✭✭
    the way we do transfers here is that we rent the new unit, they fill out the contract and pay for a full month, then as soon as they move everything from the old unit to the new one, we apply the credit from the old to the new. this process has been really simple and avoids any confusions and if the tenant does not move his stuff from one unit to the new, we are not down one unit, it is his responsibility.
  • MegumiM
    MegumiM Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified ✭✭✭
    The way we do ours is reserve the unit they will be transferring to and go ahead and give them the unit number. Just be sure when you select a customer you select one marked "current tenant" otherwise you'll have to go back and delete the reservation after you transfer them. Once they are ready to transfer, we have them stop by the office to sign a new lease or do an E-sign and it will convert the reservation when you transfer them. Then make the unit they are transferring from unavailable after processing it. Once the unit is empty and clean we make it available. We give them about 2-3 days to get everything transferred.

We haven't had an issue doing it this way so far but I could see where this could cause one. Any suggestions for what to do if the tenant doesn't have things transferred in the allotted time frame? 
  • CVSSSTORAGE
    CVSSSTORAGE Registered User, Daily Operations Certified ✭✭✭✭
    @MegumiM if they are not out when they are supposed to you charge them a prorated amount per day for the unit size they are in. We add it right to their new unit in add charges and fees
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Transfers everywhere I have worked have always been 24 hours from time of signing the lease to move everything. Case by case for exceptions such as larger units or other special circumstances. If you know the unit will not be ready to be rented soon we have always just taken it offline with notes stating the reason and a date to check and put it back, same way we do auction units when they get sold and have the 72 hour window to clean out.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads