Cutting Disc Locks

AnitaJohnson1269
AnitaJohnson1269 Registered User ✭✭✭✭
Before I go out and purchase a grinder or drill, I thought I would reach out for opinions.  Which method do you used to cut locks?  Is there a trick to getting locks off easily?  I just spent an hour with a borrowed grinder cutting 1 stinking lock.  

Comments

• Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't cheap out on grinders if you're buying one. I got a battery powered dewalt over 7 years ago and it's still going strong. I've had to use lower end brands and having them over heat or seize up a few seconds into a disc lock is very frustrating. The biggest thing that I've seen when teaching people to cut locks with a grinder that slows them down is the fear of something going wrong and they barely press into it. Hold some steady pressure on the lock as you are going so you actually dig in to the metal as it cuts and not just grazing against it. Disc locks if you have access to the left hand side of the lock you can actually cut into the casing and completely miss the shackle and get a lock off with a lot less wear and tear on a blade since it's not the hardened steel you're cutting. Padlocks me personally I just grab it with one hand and hold it up while I use a grinder on the shackle *not advising anyone to be unsafe so please don't do something if you're not comfortable*. Something I also bought years ago for auction lock cut days when i'm doing lock after lock is Kevlar sleeves as I got tired of picking metal shavings out of my arms afterwards.
  • skinman
    skinman Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a battery dewalt as well... It's pretty easy to cut locks once you figure it out. As Ork mentioned it depends on which side of the lock you have access to... If the disc is on a Janus style latch...One side you make a clean cut through the body just below the shackle and the lock will usually fall apart... the other side you will have to make 2 cuts. Just don't force the blade too hard or it will crack and fly apart. I use a pair of vice grips to steady the lock. Wear safety glasses. You'll find over time as you do it more and more, the more proficient you'll become. if you have older latches where the lock simply hangs down it's just a matter of seconds...Cut at the base of the shackle on the right hand side but not through the body, slightly twist the lock after the cut and it comes right off.
  • i43storage
    i43storage Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave up on battery grinders that lost power too quickly and now use a Black&Decker corded grinder.  Maintains the power to cut through those #*&% disc locks.  Try and cut between 2-3 o'clock (keyhole facing you).  Also, I think it is much faster to use a thinner wheel rather than a thick one.  They wear out faster but get the job done more efficiently.  Lastly, don't forget, don't pick up the bloody thing without letting it cool down first.   ;)  
    Jean Marie
    I-43 Storage
  • Orkocean
    Orkocean Registered User, Daily Operations Certified, Advanced Operations Certified, Administrator Certified, myHub Certified ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    As i43 said.. let it cool! I can't tell you how many times I have trusted gloves only to have it burn THRU the glove and to my skin, also if you are cutting a lock off for a customer who's lost a key for instance do them the favor and slide the latch over for them as it will be hot as well. Also I don't know about everyone else but I have tried the higher cost blades and I actually get more longevity out of the cheaper harbor freight blades than I do more name brand ones like dewalts.

© 2018 SiteLink Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy   |  Cookies Policy   |  Help  |  Contact Community Manager   |  Change Marketplace Ads